ANGRY Alligator ATTACKS MY BOAT!

I went down and fished the everglades this weekend for the first time in a few years. The water is low so there is  a lot of fish to be caught in the canals right now. I caught fish all day long tossing a spook. While fishing this alligator approached the boat and was very aggressive. I think people have been feeding the gator because he had no fear of me or my boat and banged into it several times.

Replies

• davids8477davids8477 Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Seen this activity in a number of canals.  I put it down to the smaller private for hire airboat operators, seen an increase in the last year or two, attracting the gators to thrill their commercial passengers.

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,975 Admiral
    Gators chase lures all the time. 
    I don't see how that was "charge" he was following the lure.
    You [i]can[/i] fish when that happens, you just have move down the shoreline a bit.
    It happens to me all over Central FL, and it's not always gators that have likely been fed or whatever.
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,179 Captain
    Gators chase lures all the time. 
    I don't see how that was "charge" he was following the lure.
    You [i]can[/i] fish when that happens, you just have move down the shoreline a bit.
    It happens to me all over Central FL, and it's not always gators that have likely been fed or whatever.
    What he said. A gator will attack a top after pretty much any time you throw it in his vicinity. He's defiantly wasn't scared, though, so a good chance he's been around humans a bunch, even if they haven't fed him. I had a lady, who might or might not have been from somewhere north of here, tell me the gators around her dock were tame. I told her they were not, the just weren't afraid, and there's a big difference. Nice vid, the drone pcs were really cool. 
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 430 Deckhand
    Someone has been feeding him.  I see the same behavior at Myakka River state park where people feed them.  They're actually a lot more aggressive in Myakka, like scary aggressive.
  • jhedgjhedg Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    great fishing thanks for sharing one criticism though, please stop saying "guys" so much for the love of god every tube video is like guys look guys see guys but guys look here guys check this out guys, over here guys, watch this guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys/guys, again great job fishing
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,341 Captain
    Great Video
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,793 Captain
    This time of year they become very territorial.
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    Good size rock to their heads keeps them away too
  • davids8477davids8477 Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Plenty of rocks on my boat!
  • mpl1978mpl1978 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Where is the best place to launch a small craft to get on these bass
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,436 Admiral
    edited April 30 #12
    jhedg said:
    ...please stop saying "guys" 
    I will literally close any video that starts out with "Guys".  I am glad it isn't just me. 

Captain Todd Approves

• SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand

You’d get a lot more clicks if you dispensed with the idiotic click-bait trash in your titles. The all-caps, exclamation points, and the tired old YouTube BS words like “EPIC” and “MONSTER” and “UNBELIEVABLE” and the like. Honestly most people when they see those dead giveaways refuse to click on principle alone. I sure do  

Because we know that when it says “YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!”...that what happens next is boring and completely believable. 

• Geno67Geno67 Posts: 148 Deckhand
    Sizuper said:

Because we know that when it says “YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!”...that what happens next is boring and completely believable. 

They always follow topwater baits of any sort. If you stop intentionally aggravating him, he will leave you alone.