Home Off Topic

Any electricians around.

DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
So I have a portable gen that I use in blackouts but I have to run extension chords and stuff. The wife says why.  Lol. The mosquitos and no seeums eat her alive so she hates that  a door is cracked.  I waned to backfeed the top breaker with the generator and use a cheap slide interlock as to not backfeed power lines. Sounds all good. No biggie, and cheap. But my main breaker is fn outside beside the meter.  Ugh.  ****.  So what do i do. Am I stuck adding a 400 dollar transfer switch. I was thinking just add8ng a main breaker to the panel. But than trying to find one for a 30 year old Gould panel made my anxiety rise. Lol. Not even sure if it is possible.  Looked at the generlink stuff but that’s not where I want to put my generator.  Out in the open easily picked up by a strong fella and a truck.  And they are 7-800 bucks. Yeesh  any tips to the cheapest route. Thx guys. 
"No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org

Replies

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,466 Admiral
    edited April 2018 #2
    Turn off main breaker add the 230 volt wires to the dryer breaker, and shut off what ever necessary breakers not to over load generator. Don't forget the ground/neutral. Oh and you didn't hear it from me. Assuming it is a 230 generator.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,506 Admiral
    Find another wife?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,945 Captain
    Find another wife?
    The $400 dollar transfer switch is a whole bunch cheaper.    :)
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,378 Admiral
    jcbcpa said:
    Find another wife?
    The $400 dollar transfer switch is a whole bunch cheaper.    :)
    Wife will have the house, he won't need the switch.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    AC Man said:
    Turn off main breaker add the 230 volt wires to the dryer breaker, and shut off what ever necessary breakers not to over load generator. Don't forget the ground/neutral. Oh and you didn't hear it from me. Assuming it is a 230 generator.
    Yeh. This is what I was thinking also. I’m an licensed electrician (Canadian license) 😳. So I definitely know to turn the main off so not to back feed. just looking for what others electricians are doing.  LCEC wants 750 bucks for the generlink.  Ugh. And a transfer switch with all th trimmings is probably more than 500.  Canadians are cheap. Lol.  Thx ac man. 

Find another wife?
    😂😂

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,149 Captain
    edited May 2018 #8
    Darcy said:
    AC Man said:
    Yeh. This is what I was thinking also. I’m an licensed electrician (Canadian license) 😳. So I definitely know to turn the main off so not to back feed. just looking for what others electricians are doing.  LCEC wants 750 bucks for the generlink.  Ugh. And a transfer switch with all th trimmings is probably more than 500.  Canadians are cheap. Lol.  Thx ac man. 
    Darcy, I had room in my panel for an additional double pole breaker. I mounted a dryer receptacle right next to the panel, and wired it to the new breaker. I have a 50'cord with a dryer plug on one end, and a twist lock plug that fits the generator 240 receptacle on the other. Turn off the main, plug in the cord, start the generator and flip on the breaker. The generator is outside the garage, chained to the truck. 
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,616 Admiral
    I got a deal for you if you're interested in a switch.  A little over-kill but I have to it get out of my garage.  Here's a picture of it.  Cord not included.  IM me if you're interested.  I'm in the Delray/lake worth area.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,466 Admiral
    pottydoc said:
    Darcy said:
    AC Man said:
    Darcy, I had room in my panel for an additional double pole breaker. I mounted a dryer receptacle roght next to the panel, and wired it to the new breaker. I have a 50'cord with a dryer plug on one end, and a wrist lock plug that fits the generator 240 receptacle on the other. Turn off the main, plug in the cord, start the generator and flip on the breaker. The generator is outside the garage, chained to the truck. 
    Yes, this is even a better idea. I always put this off and next thing you know the power is out and I go to plan B hard wired to the panel.
  • FishshrimpsnorkelFishshrimpsnorkel Posts: 1,396 Officer
    AC Man said:
    2 caveats to keep in mind when you do it this way - besides making d*mn sure the main breaker is off first:
    1. Use this only if your generator output is 30 amps or less (about 7.5 KW max). Dryer wiring and breaker are only rated for 30A.
    2. Plug extension cord into dryer receptacle first, then into generator. Prongs on dryer end of extension cord will be hot and exposed when generator is running.

7.5KW is enough to run several circuits, a "window-shaker a/c, refrigerator and/or freezer. May need to turn off a/c to run well pump, and all but refrigerator should be switched off for about an hour to heat up a tank of water in the water heater.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,444 AG
    If it is a small generator and you have less than six items you can get a transfer switch for $295 and be legal. It is what I am installing at my brother's house
    Home Depot has them.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

pottydoc said:
    Darcy said:
    AC Man said:
    Darcy, I had room in my panel for an additional double pole breaker. I mounted a dryer receptacle right next to the panel, and wired it to the new breaker. I have a 50'cord with a dryer plug on one end, and a twist lock plug that fits the generator 240 receptacle on the other. Turn off the main, plug in the cord, start the generator and flip on the breaker. The generator is outside the garage, chained to the truck. 
    Yes. Exactly what I’m going to do pottysoc. I do have room. Actually there is an old dryer plug in the garage not being used hooked up to a 30amp breaker.  Just going to continue that circuit about 8’ and punch it outside and install a 30 amp twist lock NEMA box.  Thx for everyone’s help