Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bonito strips... what to use to rig to existing lure/hook setup? Steel wire from Home Depot?

taymagtaymag Delray Beach, FLPosts: 715 Officer
I used to just put the strip on the hook, which is wrong but I was lazy... How can I add a bonito strip the right way? I found a roll of wire at Home Depot that is probably the thickness of 40lb test, is there anything wrong with just using that to do the eyelid part correctly or do I need specific fishing wire? Not sure how to explain but anyone answering will know what I am talking about.... Thanks

Replies

• FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 617 Officer
    I use 8" copper wire to secure the Bonita strip to my hook
  • lucky7lucky7 Posts: 126 Deckhand
    I use monel wire . Just google how to rig Bonita strips.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Owner-Tank You Very Much
    Saltwater fish tank maintenance and retail
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 987 Officer
    I wouldn't say wrong.  You're not the only one that has just put it on the hook.  Another approach is very similar to a ballyhoo pin rig -- you use single strand wire for leader and leave a long pin on the twist securing the hook, then the pin holds the leading edge of the strip after you put the point through so that the strip lays flat.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,074 Admiral

I rig a small hook to a single or double hook rig for strips. It is a way to change them out fast. The double hook rig is usually for split tail mullet strips.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,074 Admiral
     If you’re referring to the double hook rig with a small hook of course the hooks go through the bait 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• TunachaserTunachaser LoxahatcheePosts: 267 Deckhand

I rig a small hook to a single or double hook rig for strips. It is a way to change them out fast. The double hook rig is usually for split tail mullet strips.

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing, I will be giving this rig a run for sure.