Home Off Topic

Worker compensation rising at fastest pace since 2008, ECI finds

NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG

The tightest labor market in decades and growing shortages of workers is pressuring companies to offer higher pay.

The numbers: The cost of employing the average American worker is rising at the fastest pace in a decade, offering more proof firms have to fork over better pay and benefits to attract talent in a period of extremely low unemployment.

The employment cost index rose 0.8% in the first quarter, a tick above the MarketWatch estimate.

The cost of worker compensation in the form of pay and benefits climbed to yearly rate of 2.7%, the biggest gain since 2008.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/worker-compensation-rising-at-fastest-pace-since-2008-eci-finds-2018-04-27

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    Seems logical to me.  Back in 2007-2009 when a bunch of people didn't have a job, it was easy for a corporation to cut benefits and offer low ball salaries.  We have come a long way since 2008, in particular my 401k has grown leaps and bounds.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,317 AG
    I said it again and again. if you want to see middle income wages increase you need low unemployment

When  I first read the title I thought worker's compensation insurance claims were increasing. I then realized no s on worker.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,869 AG
    cadman I did the same thing  :)  

Captain Todd Approves

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,521 AG
    Supply and demand.  
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Now you know why some want the country flooded with illegals.  
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 410 Deckhand

Perhaps related to higher% of Atty representation!

Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,658 Admiral
    Now you know why some want the country flooded with illegals.  

That's the main reason FL's pay scale is so low.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,762 AG
    Maximizing profits by any legal means.  H-2B.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • We can get all the work we want but cant find qualified people to do it! I guess we will stick with our niche market and just raise our prices.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,823 Admin
    We can get all the work we want but cant find qualified people to do it! I guess we will stick with our niche market and just raise our prices.
    Best argument for increased legal immigration.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,764 AG
    I like legal immigration, I think it should be easier too, but if they broke the law they have to leave and do it the right way. 
       You can’t apply from inside the us unless you already have legal status to be here.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    dave44 said:
    I like legal immigration, I think it should be easier too, but if they broke the law they have to leave and do it the right way. 
       You can’t apply from inside the us unless you already have legal status to be here.

THIS
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,317 AG
    dave44 said:
    You oppose Trump? He wants it to be harder. 
    I thought we had too many immigrants? 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    We do not need more unskilled immigrants.  We should only allow highly specialized individuals who have needed skillsets immigrate .
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,764 AG
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    You oppose Trump? He wants it to be harder. 
    I thought we had too many immigrants? 

We have too many illegal immigrants, there is a difference.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    dave44 said:
    Agreed.  I always thought rewarding illegal immigrants was offensive to those who did (or are in the process) it properly/legally.  Simply, turning a blind eye to illegal activity sends the wrong message.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton