kayak with lights for gigging/bowfishing

WetBanditWetBandit Posts: 37 Greenhorn
I am thinking about buying a SUP/kayak hybrid craft and outfitting it with a trolling motor.  I got a handle on how this could be done.  I am curious if anyone has ever tried to add lights to something like this for night time gigging/bowfishing.

Does anyone have any experiences they could share?

Replies

• DomDom Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    I was thinking of doing the same thing, but with a push pole instead of the motor. seems easy enough, just need a big enough battery and mounted lights. I have gigged my fair share of sheepshead from the seawalls, so I don't know why it would be any different in a kayak. Once you get it tricked out I would like to see some pictures. 
  • WetBanditWetBandit Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Thanks for sharing bbailey!  Im glad I know that exists now
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,537 Captain
    Looks pretty cool, but anyone considering this should bear in mind that this light has a high profile, and will create more water resistance than a think strip of stickon type lighting.  I recently removed my expensive sidescan fish finder off my kayak because the huge transducer took .3-.4 kts off my speed through the water.  When my average speed is 2-3kts, .3kts is too big of a loss to make it worthwhile for me.
  • bbailey_33bbailey_33 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    I have a cree headlamp that I can see bottom in 2'-3'.
    I have always wanted to gigg some flounder from SUP, just never tried yet.