Home General Fishing

Loomis Pro Green vs St. Croix Avid

Slb9981Slb9981 Posts: 60 Greenhorn
Which is the better option for fishing the flats for primarily trout but occasional red fish. Using a 1/8-1/4 oz.Big. and gulps, jerkbaits, plastic etc. Has anyone used both? Sensitivity about the same? 

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,170 Admiral
    Looking for a trout rod?  Man those options are pricey for trout.  I'd check out Crowder e-lite.  Having said that St Croix makes amazing rods.  On the flats I would look at a M or ML from Croix.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    I have 3 pro greens. Love them. No experience w avid rods 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited April 2018 #4
    I own both.  The Avid rod is a bit nicer than the Pro Green, IMO.  I don't think you'll notice a difference in the sensitivity, but the components and build quality is better with the Avid.  Frankly, they are both quality rods and I don't really thing you can go wrong with either one.
  • marexmarex Posts: 170 Deckhand
    I haven't used the Pro Greens so take my advice with a grain of salt but anytime I've picked them up in the store they seem a bit large and heavy for their respective ratings whereas the Avids seem a bit lighter and have a model for pretty much everything inshore. If you're interested in G. Loomis, I suggest checking out the E6X rods. For trout the 7'6" 6-12 model is excellent.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    marex said:
    I haven't used the Pro Greens so take my advice with a grain of salt but anytime I've picked them up in the store they seem a bit large and heavy for their respective ratings whereas the Avids seem a bit lighter and have a model for pretty much everything inshore. If you're interested in G. Loomis, I suggest checking out the E6X rods. For trout the 7'6" 6-12 model is excellent.
    Pro greens are much nicer that the e6x
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Slb9981Slb9981 Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys for the responses!!!
    I own both.  The Avid rod is a bit nicer than the Pro Green, IMO.  I don't think you'll notice a difference in the sensitivity, but the components and build quality is better with the Avid.  Frankly, they are both quality rods and I don't really thing you can go wrong with either one.
    Which Avid do you have?
    edited April 2018 #9
    It's an 8' spinning rod I use for tarpon.  I'll get model number for you later today.
    The model number is AIS80HF.  Great pole for tarpon, incidentally.
  • SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    I’ve got a Tidemaster 7’ M  that I use for everything from trout to tarpon and love it, I can’t really speak for the loomis but I’ve got a friend that owns the avid and loves it
    Tidemasters are also superb rods.  A step below Avid, but still quite good.  Have about the same model as the Avid posted above and have used it for years, as have other friends -- proven tarpon rod.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Have used both for exactly the purpose you've described. I'd get the Avid. 
    Ended up getting the St. Croix Legend Tournament that they just recently released. Will fish it for the first time this weekend. A little more than I wanted to spend but it will last several years. Thanks for all the advice!!!! 
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Very nice, you'll love it. 
    I haven't seen one of those yet.  Please let us know how you like it.