Home Boating

Panhandle to Tarpon Springs

NitzeyNitzey Posts: 180 Deckhand
The time has come to drive my boat from Pensacola to Tarpon Springs.  Frankly, I am not looking forward to this.  I have a 28' single diesel and it is a good boat, but this is much further than I have ever driven it.  The scariest part is across the Big Bend.  From Pensacola to St Joe or Carrabelle, I can take the Intracoastal although through the Gulf will be more direct. Across the Big Bend will  take me further from shore than comfortable.  And I am familiar with waters in the Panhandle but nowhere else.
A

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,698 AG
    I would look at that like an adventure.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 180 Deckhand
    That is the way I originally looked at it.  I even thought of trolling along the way.  Now that it is at hand, there is some trepidation.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 995 Officer
    You should have the confidence level to go with your ability and your boats readiness. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,146 Admiral
    If it is really bothering you, hire a capt. and tag along. The least you should do is take another seasoned boater with you. Make sure you have all safety equipment and an epird.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    Now I have an EPIRB.   I have thought about one for years, as I go offshore a lot, but finally bought one.  The seas for Tuesday and Wednesday are good for this trip.  My
    We made it.   Here is the summary.  Went Intracoastal from Escambia Bay to Destin.  From there across the Gulf to Port St Joe, where we spent the night.  From Port St Joe, took Intracoastal to Apalachicola.  From Apalachicola due south to Tarpon Springs.  Some rough water near Port St Joe, and it was choppy just south of Apalachicola; otherwise smooth sailing.  
    One more thought.  On this entire journey we had clean and blue and beautiful waters.  In this day when environmental regulations are being slashed, we need to resist.  Roger was in the Navy for many years, and sailed the world.  He said whenever they approached a major city, they would start seeing trash in the water, even far out.  We do not want to go back to that.