Waterfront Living may be getting cheaper

2»

Replies

• riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 1,998 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    It seems there are places now flooding that have not flooded in the past.  What do you make of that?
    I can speak to the Charleston area. Flooding's worse because developers insist on covering every square inch with concrete and neighborhoods. There's nowhere for water to drain.

We were looking a couple of months ago for an area to build a house, my wife suggested an area she'd heard about. I asked her if she was sure about that road name, she asked why...I told her I used to hunt that area 40 years ago, it was all lowland, wet and swampy. Not surprisingly, when we had the big flood a while back that area got hammered.

Sure enough, drove down that road, they filled in, built neighborhoods. Went further down where it was still undeveloped, and I showed her what that whole area used to look like...standing water swamp. Cut down a new side road, there was a crew of Hispanics standing knee to hip deep pumping in dirt. Somehow developers are getting variances to fill in wetlands.

People here are building on dynamic barrier islands, and building as close as possible to the high tide line on beaches that have been steadily eroding and being renourished my whole life.. then they complain when extra high tides threaten their home. It's absolute madness.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,108 AG
    Been in the same Lauderdale waterfront home for nearly 20 years. One canal off the ICW.

Spring/Fall tides are no higher now than in 2001.............
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,491 Moderator
    Another big reason is flood insurance. If you are not a resident of Florida or your seaside home is a second home, your flood insurance rates have skyrocketed.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,520 Admiral
    Another big reason is flood insurance. If you are not a resident of Florida or your seaside home is a second home, your flood insurance rates have skyrocketed.
    Whatcha gotta do is buy a waterfront lot, and instead of building a traditional concrete block house, get a double wide.   then head over to a marine salvage yard and pick up about 30 pontoons, and fix them underneath the double wide.   Boom.   Floodproofing.  Just make sure you've got a place to fix an outboard and somewhere to tie off mooring lines. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,153 Officer
    Gary M said:
    Been in the same Lauderdale waterfront home for nearly 20 years. One canal off the ICW.

Spring/Fall tides are no higher now than in 2001.............
    Same here. Been living on the ICW in Boynton Beach for 15 years. The water level hasn't gotten any higher.  Could it be Miami is sinking in the ares where flooding has increased?
    Ours went down and we live on the ICW in Boynton Beach. With the remapping our Mortgage company no longer requires us to carry Flood Insurance.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,491 Moderator
    Ours went down and we live on the ICW in Boynton Beach. With the remapping our Mortgage company no longer requires us to carry Flood Insurance.

Obviously you are a resident and your flood zone definition changed. You're lucky.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Obviously you are a resident and your flood zone definition changed. You're lucky.
    Yes, Yes and Yes. 
    Cyclist said:
    "The sea is rising by one inch every three years due to sinking land"  WTH????

That is not what I would call "Sea level rising" I would call in "Land sinking"
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,773 Admiral
    edited April 24 #42

For you Boynton guys that claim sea level is not rising, What was happening at Veterans Park in Delray? We just did their seawall and dock that were being raised due to sea level rise. While we worked there since last summer, every flood tide came over the wall and flooded the park.

I agree that I have not noticed it at my dock on the Deerfield.Boca line, but if your dock was not at a lower level, maybe we just don't notice it. My dock only get flooded at the three or four days a years when everything lines up, but Delray is designing increases in all walls and docks that the city owns.

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,777 AG
    Cyclist said:

Did you miss this?

Because the majority of sea level rise is caused by ice melt in the North and South Poles. Although the sea level is rising due to a number of causes including warming waters that are expanding, a slowing Gulf Stream and sinking land, melting ice from the North and the South Poles is the biggest contributor to sea level rise.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg

For you Boynton guys that claim sea level is not rising, What was happening at Veterans Park in Delray? We just did their seawall and dock that were being raised due to sea level rise. While we worked there since last summer, every flood tide came over the wall and flooded the park.

I agree that I have not noticed it at my dock on the Deerfield.Boca line, but if your dock was not at a lower level, maybe we just don't notice it. My dock only get flooded at the three or four days a years when everything lines up, but Delray is designing increases in all walls and docks that the city owns.

Maybe that area in Delray is sinking as that stupid article Cyclist posted is claiming as sea level rise? No change here and we are just north across from Boynton Inlet.
    edited April 24 #45
    Cyclist said:
    Cyclist said:

Did you miss this?

Nope!! I was just pointing out the stupidity of saying land sinking = Sea Level Rise. That whole article loses all credibility due to that stupid claim.
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 500 Deckhand
    Mister-Jr said:
    It seems there are places now flooding that have not flooded in the past.  What do you make of that?
    All of Florida was once under water.  How far in the past are you talking?
2»