Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tarpon in P.I. sound?

I know people talk about catching tarpon in the passes or off the beach but do a lot of fish swim the intercoastal through pine island sound. Its been a while since going out anf I was debating drifting grass flats for trout. Is it possible to hook tarpon if I throw out some live or chunk bait while drifting in shallow water? Is it better to drift near a channel edge, trout on one side and big baits off the other?

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Only one way to find out.  :)

Just fish your normal drift and the first ladyfish you catch, stick it on a big rod and throw it out back in a rod holder.  Not only tarpon will eat it but sharks and big snook will too.  And a better side effect over chunk bait... no catfish!
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,774 Captain
    Keith whats the best way to hook a live lady fish and also what size hook?
    Jason :USA
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 208 Deckhand
    Thanks Keith. I agree with the only one way to find out idea.  I use that a lot, just like to bounce ideas off of others for the details
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,915 AG
    edited April 2018 #5
    Short answer:  Yes, that will work in PI sound (although I've always had better using live bait and sight fishing).  I'd focus on areas deeper than 9'.

As for how to hook ladyfish, we hook them through the roof of the mouth and up through the nose using a larger than normal hook to take into account the larger bait (like a 10/0 circle).
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    For some reason I've had good luck hooking ladyfish through the bottom jaw, up into their mouths.  Can't remember where I picked that up.  They pretty much never get off the hook that way and seem to hook up well.  Like Tarponator said a bigger hook seems to work well but the tried and true Mustad demon circle 7/0 has worked also.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters