CK - Upper/Over Slot Reds, Big Ugly and an Unwelcome Paparazzi

Gator4LifeGator4Life Gainesville,FlPosts: 542 Officer
 The winds were high in the a.m. and high tide wasn't till 1:30pm so decided to sleep in a bit and got on the water around 1130. Our first spot we poled down on was a small grassy bar with no-one in sight. As soon as our bait hit the water here comes a boat straight for us. There are 5 square miles of oyster bars around us and this fella picks the one we're fishing. I then realize he's not fishing but pulling right on top of our bait to get out and take some photo shoots with a tripod . My wife's bait is just feet from them so she goes to reel in and wham!! Red on!!. She catches a 28" on the first cast feet away from Captain Guy Harvey and his photo companion(picture below). It was only a sign of things to come.  We moved around hitting  different bars and for the next three hours we caught a 29" red, another 28"er,  and 2 between 26-27" that we took home for dinner. Also caught a large black drum that took forever to get to the boat.
Grasshopper

Replies

• NobelNobel Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Good catch.  I've got to figure out those reds.  Cut bait?  We were out today and got 6 keeper trout in morning.  Headed out offshore when it calmed and got some kings and Spanish.  Post report later.  
  • flats habitflats habit Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Great report and pics...thanks for sharing! 👍
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,498 Captain
    It's a lot of fun to catch some that size.  They gave them black drum a good nickname.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,431 Officer
    Nice reds!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,406 Moderator
    :D  "in your face"..  That's crazy ain't it. LOL

Nice catchin'..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,777 AG
    edited April 16 #7
    Great day you guys had! Thanks for posting. I fished Corrigans area till just after high tide with a buddy and we had one strike and one fish in the boat. I landed a 26.5 red and it was delicious. Fished oysters and grass mainly with gold spoons. Saw lots of reds and some drum but only one taker.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Quad32xQuad32x Anthony , FloridaPosts: 104 Deckhand
    Man nice job ! Sure makes me want to get out there !
  • Gator4LifeGator4Life Gainesville,FlPosts: 542 Officer
    Cyclist said:
    Great day you guys had! Thanks for posting. I fished Corrigans area till just after high tide with a buddy and we had one strike and one fish in the boat. I landed a 26.5 red and it was delicious. Fished oysters and grass mainly with gold spoons. Saw lots of reds and some drum but only one taker.
    We used to fish Corrigans all the time and there were lots of redfish. The last few years though we haven't caught many. I've pretty much given up on it. But the drum are like cattle and hang out there in herds. Your profile says you have 22,000 posts? How is that even possible? That's like 3 posts a day everyday for 22 years?
    Grasshopper
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,777 AG
    Cyclist said:
    We used to fish Corrigans all the time and there were lots of redfish. The last few years though we haven't caught many. I've pretty much given up on it. But the drum are like cattle and hang out there in herds. Your profile says you have 22,000 posts? How is that even possible? That's like 3 posts a day everyday for 22 years?
    LOL, too many posts. Corrigans has changed a bit since Irma...it's still a neat place.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,505 Captain
    Noice!
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,349 Captain
    Cool, did you ask them when their next photo shoot was?
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,524 Captain
    Sounds like a good day....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,405 Officer
    Good job on the reds!! You had a good plan!
    Brian
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,750 Captain
    Awesomeville!!! Great day!!

I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,031 AG
    Yeah, what the heck were they photographing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield