Home Rod Building and Reel Repair

How to replace top roller guide

Hey everyone, 

I recently got a free 3/0 Penn Senator Rod but it is missing the actual wheel for the top roller guide. I ordered one from mudhole but it was too wide. Unfortunately the current guide has no markings or anything so I cant figure out what size I need, So I have been thinking of just replacing the whole guide. I attached photos for reference. 

Is this possible? How would I get the old one off?



  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,932 Admiral
    Does it say Aftco, or is it a knock off?  If it is a Aftco then you can buy the correct roller at most saltwater tackle shops but if you want to replace the entire tip then put a little heat (not too much) and twist the tip off. measure the rod and get a new tip. they are numbered by 64ths of inches.

    “Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

  • DanglesDangles Posts: 34 Deckhand
    edited April 2018 #3
    I guess its a knock off. It has no markings at all. My other one does say AFTCO but not this one does not. Do you think a heat gun would be the best option?

  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,499 Officer
    Just use a lighter and twist, with pliers, and pull and it'll come off.  Heat guns are hard to control.
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    Split the tip barrel down both sides and split it open like a walnut shell. Then simply pry it open and slide it off.   The rod your working with is an old Penn Senator rod and it doesn't usually respond well to being heated and has been know to explode off the end of the rod rather violently.   
Sign In or Register to comment.