Getting ready to purchase my 1st Egret (189 or 2011)

CaptainCalfCaptainCalf Chapel Hill, NCPosts: 16 Greenhorn
Hello All, I'm doing my homework before buying an Egret.  I'm reading everything I can find and would appreciate so help from y'all.

I've owned an Andros Guide 20 and it was great in skinny water, but they should have sold it with a raincoat for crossing the bay cuz it would soak you and the ocean was never calm enough to take it off shore to even the closest reef...That's why I like the Egret because it's made to handle chop and keep you dry.  The plan is to fish sweatwater lakes, the backcountry/creeks and off the beaches and on nice days run out to the closest reefs near off shore.

I plan to buy resale, so my first question is what year did the current owner take over?  I've read that he's turned the company around for the better and would like to buy one of his boats.
A slow day on the water is better than any day at work.

Replies

• 91tiger91tiger Posts: 544 Officer
    edited April 11 #2

I'm not sure what year Frank took over and I owned a 189 built by him and currently own a 2011 he built that I plan to keep as long as I'm alive and pass to my son if he is interested (he's 1 now so who knows).  But I would not hesitate in the least to buy a Florida built Egret if I was in the market for a used one.  They were fantastic boats as well and I think Frank would tell you the exact same thing.  Frank did make some changes to the deck layout on the 189, some like it better but some like the old design better.  The hull is exactly the same. 

However if you decide a 20'11" meets your needs better, those were designed by Frank and have only been around since around since 2010 or so. 

By the way, I use mine exactly as you describe.  90% of my fishing is in the lakes in SC for stripers and the other is down in the Keys and Everglades chasing tarpon and snook.  I've run mine out in the gulf 12 to 15 miles many times hitting wrecks for permit and cobia.  It's a fantastic boat for the fishing I do. 

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,042 Officer
    edited April 11 #3
    If you're going to pole the boat buy the 189. If you're going to use a trolling motor buy the 2011. The Egret 2011 can handle a much larger outboard and is a lot faster. It also cost more money. The other option is a Mocassin 2011. There's one for sale here on this forum.  
  • CaptainCalfCaptainCalf Chapel Hill, NCPosts: 16 Greenhorn
    91tiger said:

I'm not sure what year Frank took over and I owned a 189 built by him and currently own a 2011 he built that I plan to keep as long as I'm alive and pass to my son if he is interested (he's 1 now so who knows).  But I would not hesitate in the least to buy a Florida built Egret if I was in the market for a used one.  They were fantastic boats as well and I think Frank would tell you the exact same thing.  Frank did make some changes to the deck layout on the 189, some like it better but some like the old design better.  The hull is exactly the same. 

However if you decide a 20'11" meets your needs better, those were designed by Frank and have only been around since around since 2010 or so. 

By the way, I use mine exactly as you describe.  90% of my fishing is in the lakes in SC for stripers and the other is down in the Keys and Everglades chasing tarpon and snook.  I've run mine out in the gulf 12 to 15 miles many times hitting wrecks for permit and cobia.  It's a fantastic boat for the fishing I do. 

91Tiger, Thanks for the info!

It looks like they stopped production on the FL Egrets in 2001 and yes I'm hearing that those boats were great too, so I don't have to limit my search years.  I like the way you fish and that's exactly what I was hopping I'd hear.
    If you're going to pole the boat buy the 189. If you're going to use a trolling motor buy the 2011. The Egret 2011 can handle a much larger outboard and is a lot faster. It also cost more money. The other option is a Mocassin 2011. There's one for sale here on this forum.  
    SWJunkie: That's good to know, I'm not planning on poling much cuz I do a lot of fishing alone and just use the trolling motor when in lakes and the backcounty.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 465 Deckhand
    Don't make the mistake of discounting a 2011 or Moccasin 210 because you mistakingly think it may draft more than the 189.  I have a Moccasin 210 and even after 3 years of fishing my boat, my buddies with 17ft skiffs routinely remark "I can't believe how shallow your boat floats" and never seem to want to take their boat; especially on days like last Sunday where we ran 90 miles of backwater and offshore.  If you're fishing the trolling motor, the water it needs to operate will be the limiting factor in how shallow you fish. 

• 91tiger91tiger Posts: 544 Officer
    Feel free to PM me with any questions on the boat and I will provide you my email.  Also you may want to reach out to Flats Boy on here.  He has owned a 189, 2011 and now a Moccasin. He can give the scoop on all three.   
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 290 Deckhand

I started researching Flats/bay boats late 2015. Over the course of 18 months I I narrowed my search down to three builders, Egret's Moccasin 210, then Hells bay Marquesa and the Young boat 20bay. The second week of July 2016 my wife and I took a road trip in order to sea trial the three. NC was the first stop, Hells bay then Young boats was the plan.

I built my first clam boat when I was 16, since then I've owned many boats and have operated commercially and privately in many different conditions over the years.. Hands down, without question, the Moccasin is the softest riding, driest and most stable boat I've ever operated and owned.

IMHO

Good luck in you search

Vinny l said:

I started researching Flats/bay boats late 2015. Over the course of 18 months I I narrowed my search down to three builders, Egret's Moccasin 210, then Hells bay Marquesa and the Young boat 20bay. The second week of July 2016 my wife and I took a road trip in order to sea trial the three. NC was the first stop, Hells bay then Young boats was the plan.

I built my first clam boat when I was 16, since then I've owned many boats and have operated commercially and privately in many different conditions over the years.. Hands down, without question, the Moccasin is the softest riding, driest and most stable boat I've ever operated and owned.

IMHO

Good luck in you search

Ginny: I’m leaning towards the 2011.  How much difference do you think there is in the ride between that and the moccasin?

Vinny l said:

IMHO

Good luck in you search

Ginny: I’m leaning towards the 2011.  How much difference do you think there is in the ride between that and the moccasin?
    Sorry for the typo Vinny...all thumbs here...
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 290 Deckhand
    edited April 13 #11

No-worries

Flatsboy can answer that question probably better then anyone. He's owned  189, 2011 and now a Moccasin 210. My experience is more general in so much as I'm limited to commenting on the boats I've owned. Flatsboys experience is specific to your needs.

• Carlton0622Carlton0622 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Has anyone powered a 210 moccasin with a Yamaha 150?  If so, are you satisfied? 
  • smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Just powered mine with a I4200. I'm super happy. Still in break in process. Good luck gettin a yamaha this year.