Simple, perfect kingfish

cslascrocslascro Posts: 129 Deckhand
I'm talking some freaking good King Mackerel here!

Must give credit to the man who calls himself Professor Salt on the inter webs, he gave me the idea for this.

Basically, filet kingfish and remove all skin and bloodlines.

Slice filets no more than an inch thick.

Roll pieces in egg wash, then dredge in finely ground Ritz crackers ( I milled mine in the NutriBullet).

Fry in pan with medium heated oil, flipping at least once. (I used grapeseed oil on medium heat).

NO SEASONING!

When the coating is golden, almost brown, their done. Absolutely amazing. Of course, I used fresh king, but it's worth a try with any properly frozen bits you might have on hand. Nice alternative to Old Smokey.
Angler for fun | Copywriter for hire
www.RussChiodoWriting.com
[email protected]

Replies

• pbsnookerpbsnooker Posts: 882 Officer
    I like fried king also, but it has to be fresh, and under 20lbs seems to be better. Remainder goes onto the smoker. Haven't found a great grill recipe yet to meet our taste buds.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 576 Officer
    cook them on a cedar plank, throw away the fish and eat the plank.
  • Skeeter08Skeeter08 Posts: 175 Officer
    CaptJ wrote: »
    cook them on a cedar plank, throw away the fish and eat the plank.

LOL my thoughts exactly, Last year week caught ~50 in 3 days at Carrabelle Fl. blast to catch but not worth putting on the table. We kept 2 nice size Kings tried cooking them 12 different ways and never hit the home run. I'm planning on going back to Carabelle again this April for the same action except the eating part. Enjoy.
  • Hushmouth CreekHushmouth Creek Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Gotta try it blackened... Never would have believed it till I tried some, takes all the fishy and oily taste of kingfish right out.....excellent.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,578 Admiral
    Gotta try it blackened... Never would have believed it till I tried some, takes all the fishy and oily taste of kingfish right out.....excellent.

Did this with one we caught in Marathon. Let it sit in the ice overnight, then cleaned and left it on a cookie sheet in the fridge for another night. Then redfish magic and blackened. Made fish tacos, they wereawesome.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,859 Captain

OP Not a fan of the Ritz cracker breading and i cant eat the best grouper fried if not seasoned spicy. Tried it blackened and it was ok, but i usually torpedo them right back in the water.

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 388 Deckhand

i like to use kings for fish balls. they just seem to make better balls than any other fish. like fish cakes, just rolled into balls and baked------not fried! i'll have to try this fried king recipe, sounds good.

le se' bon ton roulet
  • WILLIEGATORWILLIEGATOR Posts: 19 Greenhorn

soak in buttermilk over night makes a huge difference...

• mr.bubbamr.bubba Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Smoke it and make a bunch of fish dip. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,235 Captain
    King fish are best eaten fresh and they are delicious, shame some people don't know how to care for their catch and ruin good fish. Please release if you aren't going to eat them. If you catch more than you can eat in one sitting, which is easy to do, smoke it and then put the smoked fish in a vacuum bag and freeze it. It keeps better after it is cooked (smoked). Take it out later in the year when you are craving smoked King fish and whip up a batch. Tastes great.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,456 Officer
    soak in a mixture of equal portions of hot sauce and lemon juice for at least an hour, longer if you have time.
    salt and pepper, meal and fry. It's great when fresh.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,262 Admiral
    cslascro said:
    I'm talking some freaking good King Mackerel here!

Must give credit to the man who calls himself Professor Salt on the inter webs, he gave me the idea for this.

Basically, filet kingfish and remove all skin and bloodlines.

Slice filets no more than an inch thick.

Roll pieces in egg wash, then dredge in finely ground Ritz crackers ( I milled mine in the NutriBullet).

Fry in pan with medium heated oil, flipping at least once. (I used grapeseed oil on medium heat).

NO SEASONING!

When the coating is golden, almost brown, their done. Absolutely amazing. Of course, I used fresh king, but it's worth a try with any properly frozen bits you might have on hand. Nice alternative to Old Smokey.

Sounds good enough to give it a try!

My favorite way to prepare fresh king is to butterfly filets (less than 1" thick), season with Everglades or Cavenders,  saute in hot olive oil, or baste with olive oil, then season and grill...after overnight soak in slushy brine.

Used to be a recipe floating around here called 'poor man's lobster' made with king mackerel - never tried it though.

I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 105 Deckhand
    King is one of the best. This is of course if your not a lady and you like FISH. Grilled king steaks 1,1/2 inch to 2 inch thick skin on.  Rolled in olive oil, Cajun, lemon herb and grilled slow yes let it cook slow and bast it with the oil and seasoning. Now this is good by itself or chipped and served on top of a salad HOT. with ranch or Jalapenos Ranch.
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 207 Deckhand
    Caught and cooked fresh. Grilled with a little olive oil and blackening seasoning = delicious. 
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 146 Deckhand
    I'm going to have to try that. Sounds good. Anything in Ritz crackers has to be!
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    Lemon juice,Mayo,Mustard,Garlic,Butter and a bit of Caribbean Jerk seasoning....Tent the foil and cook on hot grill until foil puffs up...
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin