4/8 Jupiter Bottom Fishing

Been really struggling to bring anything decent home with us last month or so. Got out Sunday for my bday, had just finished up a new Phenix Black Diamond 15-40 7' with Winn Grips for myself, and got the new Thunnus in so wanted to try those out. Was awarded with quite a few fish in the box for a change! Alicia wasnt too happy, for some reason I got all the keeper bites, must have been birthday / new rod luck haha  B) 

Left Jupiter and headed south around 7am and fished relatively shallow, 90-100 all day and just kept going over a few yellowtails spots I have marked. Used cut fresh blue runners that had the misfortune of biting our hooks, squid got those and used the squid when we ran out of runners. 3 oz weight was good until it started ripping and we headed in at 2 before the storms rolled in. Got sharked on a couple with a huge gray bull swimming below us, and a few remoras.

Final Tally:
1 Rainbow Runner
1 Porgy
3 Triggers
6 Yellowtail

Chris
Everglades 223cc

Replies

• qotsaautopilotqotsaautopilot Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Way to go.  I have no idea how to bottom fish or types of rigs. Chicken, fish finder, knocker, vertical jigs?? The couple times I’ve tried I drift so fast I’m constantly moving the boat or I get snagged in the wreck or I need like 10oz of weight.  Or I try to anchor and I can’t get the position just right and I’m dragging the anchor up and down a bunch of times.  

I hear bottom fishing is a great way to get some action for the kiddos and put something on the table as I get skunked a lot offshore.  But so far it’s been way more work and hassle than I expected.  I’d love to get some YT, mutton, and grouper in the boat.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 417 Deckhand
    Happy birthday...no better way to spend it than out fishing
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Really nice combo! Great catch... thanks for the report, and happy birthday!

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,494 Captain
    Good report and Happy Birthday.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • tunawahootunawahoo Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Per FWC, Queen Triggerfish are classed as ornamentals and protected from hook and line fishing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IslandiaIslandia Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Ironically it was my B day on Sunday wife and dogs took me fishing out of Jupiter stayed in close around 60' and did decent on
    Porgies yellow tail and One schoolie dolphin. anchored up. left the house at 12:30 back by 3pm

My brother in law did well on the Dolphin same day largest fish was 25+
  • 20psimr20psimr Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    tunawahoo said:
    Per FWC, Queen Triggerfish are classed as ornamentals and protected from hook and line fishing.
    Makes sense, I wasnt sure because Fish Rules said no regulations. I thought it was like Porgy, and fall under the 100lb rule.
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
  • crackedconchcrackedconch Posts: 358 Deckhand
    Congrats on the fishing and happy birthday!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!

Pioneer 197 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF150