Steeinhatchee Hogfish?

I am going to be fishing offshore capt out of Steeinhatchee targeting grouper, and wanted to know if anyone is having any success with hogfish in this region. I fish out of Clearwater and routinely target and catch hogs on hook and line. Considering bringing a rod and reel and giving it a shot. 

Replies

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,500 Captain
    Do they even get many red grouper out of stein?

• Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 868 Officer
    nick said:

not in the past 2-3 years

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,400 Moderator
    You know , I've never heard of anyone catching hogs up there ? May be a little north for them, not sure.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • rockzillarockzilla Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Rotary Club event booked way ahead of time. Club never checked the regs. I see gags are open inside of state waters starting on 4-1. I have fished this area years ago and I'm guessing at 9 miles out the water will be pretty shallow. 

Rick1-2 said:
    nick said:

not in the past 2-3 years

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,329 Captain
    They spear hogs out of Carrabelle, Alligator Point, Panacea ect but never heard of one on hook and line.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,500 Captain
    edited March 24 #7
    Sounds like a grunt trip!

kings/cobia!
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,492 Captain
    I think Steinahatchee is more of a flats fishing place.  A lot of trout & red fishing.  But I've only fished there twice.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 868 Officer
    seabass mostly this time of year, big ones and cooler fulls, yes 9 miles still around 20 ft or so, after the red tide several years back keepers gags have been few and in between, red grouper basically non existent, at least to us, but u will def have a cooler full of big seabass, 
  • rockzillarockzilla Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    stc1993 said:
    I think Steinahatchee is more of a flats fishing place.  A lot of trout & red fishing.  But I've only fished there twice.
    We are fishing inshore the following day.
  • MikeHinesMikeHines Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Brett Molzen is a charter captain out of Sea ****.  Saw he caught a couple hogs on Saturday, but they were bycatch while targeting Sheepshead.

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,400 Moderator
    Ah ha !!    There are hogfish there !   ^^^^^

"You'll get your weather"
  • SurveyorSurveyor Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I have spearfished off Suwannee in 50' And got some nice Hogfish.
  • TCow86TCow86 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Ive shot plenty of hogs spearfishing out of Steinhatchee. They are certainly there.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,245 Captain
    Hogs are everywhere in the eastern Gulf on flat hard bottom or on top of low relief ledges in 25' or more. It's just a matter of wearing out the grunts with squid or cut bait before dropping shrimp. 
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,155 Admiral
    I have some friends that sheepshead over there, and they always have a few hogs as by-catch.....

So they are there.....
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,396 AG
    The only bait I'm aware of that will entice a Hog Snapper is a silver eel. At least in the Big Bend area.  :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]