4/4 Tons of Bottom Action with a Few Keepers Offshore Jupiter

Ran out to 900 with high hopes after finding some nice weedlines but had no livebait, trolled some rigged ballys with no takers, headed back in trolling and dodging the storm....switched up to a few plugs but still no action, ended up bottom fishing late morning...the AJ action in 135 feet was killing me, I lost several rigs and boated a ton of just short greater AJs, lot of fun but frustrating,,,thankfully picked up a decent mutton and then got nailed by an even larger one near 24 inches....yay! Along the way the file fish were rampant and I kept one...bummed no yt snapper to be found today but caught a bunch of porgies, grunts, some triggers, remoras and got cut off several times by who knows what, lot of action in the deeper depths. Looking forward to a mutton feast!

Replies

• bambam78bambam78 Posts: 557 Officer
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 259 Deckhand
    That's a Mutton alright! Great job...

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• privateer19privateer19 Posts: 359 Deckhand
    nice muttons
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,494 Captain
    Full grown one
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 1,988 Captain
    The second and larger one really surprised me, I thought I had another AJ on as it was a battle to get it off the bottom.
  • AllStar59AllStar59 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Those short AJs-might those have been banded rudder fish? They look like small AJs and they are thick right now off Jupiter.
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 1,988 Captain
    AllStar59 said:
    Those short AJs-might those have been banded rudder fish? They look like small AJs and they are thick right now off Jupiter.
    No, they were great AJs....every one I caught was at least 24 inches and up to about 27 inches, just shy of being legal which was a bummer as they BATTLE. The banded rudderfish don't typically get that big and they have just a remnant of the color bar and a much shallower body...if  the fish are less than 20 inches most of the time I agree they are banded rudders. On occasion I have to count the white gill rakers to be sure.
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 504 Officer
    At least you had some rod bending.  Better than a total skunking