Home General Fishing

Spoons - With Swivel, Or Not?

Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,270 Captain
I stopped using snap-swivels a long time ago.

Don't use spoons much in Fresh water, & spinners only rarely.

( Snap-swivels also tend to change the action of spoons. )

But in the Salt, it's another story, where silver & gold spoons are a staple.

The Johnson silver minnow doesn't twist line because it doesn't rotate.

But, their Sprite spoon certainly does, as do most others, like Daredevils.

In the past, I've put a swivel between the braid and the leader.

Is it still needed, since braid can handle a lot more twist than mono?

Replies

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    edited March 2018 #2
    I use mostly Johnson minnows and I have tried both, swivels (NOT snap swivels, just small high quality swivels) and a loop types knots. We all know the issues with swivels, catch crap, bulky, etc. BUT, I almost always use very small swivels because Johnson spoons WILL SPIN if you are retrieving them very fast. I know that is not what you are supposed to do, but when fishing over oysters, fast retrieves are mandatory, especially if you are casting towards tailing reds in murky water, can be shallow! I think if oysters are not an issue, loop knots work great.

So in re-reading your post....I use them with braid and mono, although I almost exclusively fish with mono, so my answer may not be what you are looking for.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    For Johnson and aqua dream spoons I put the smallest ball bearing ( not barrel) swivel I can find with a split ring attaching it to the spoon.  If you put the swivel between the line and leader, macs will hit the swivel and cut you off, also if you decide to change lures, then your stuck w a swivel that you don’t need 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,441 Captain
    When trolling for toothed fish with spoons, (mackerel,etc.) don't use a shiny swivel.  Use a black one. 
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,270 Captain
     If you put the swivel between the line and leader, macs will hit the swivel and cut you off, also if you decide to change lures, then your stuck w a swivel that you don’t need 
    Thanks for the feedback.

I always use a Black swivel, for just that reason.

With another lure, the swivel might not be needed, but doesn't detract either.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
     If you put the swivel between the line and leader, macs will hit the swivel and cut you off, also if you decide to change lures, then your stuck w a swivel that you don’t need 
    Thanks for the feedback.

I always use a Black swivel, for just that reason.

With another lure, the swivel might not be needed, but doesn't detract either.
    Spanish will hit a black swivel. They will also hit a double uni knot sometimes. Ask me how I know 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,352 Admiral
    I use a swivel so the spoon rotates.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • FlecFlec Posts: 705 Officer
    The Johnson sprite is my main lure for shallow water of 4 feet or less. I use it probably 70% of the time when fishing the indian river lagoon.  I use 10 to 15lb braid and a 25-30lb mono leader, I attach a small split ring to my spoons and never use a swivel. I do not get twisted line with this, but I am not using a fast retrieve.
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 508 Officer
    I’ve got a number of the Kastmaster spoons, and I’ve always had this same question. Thanks for posting this topic and answers guys.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,342 Admiral
    If it is a spinning spoon-Yes
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • tjensentjensen Posts: 359 Deckhand
    Little Cleo spoons out fish the others IMO. They have a wobble like no other spoon. Splitrings come attached.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,270 Captain
    edited April 2018 #13
    tjensen said:
    Little Cleo spoons out fish the others IMO. They have a wobble like no other spoon. Splitrings come attached.
    Haden't seen "Little Cleo" in large enough size for inshore.

A few freshwater models are packed away in the Trout box. 

Checked their site ... saw a number of larger models.

Plan to try an old "Daredevlet" spoon in a few weeks.

( Mid-sized model from the Eppinger company. )

Cleo's cousin, a "Steelie", might also see use.
  • StryderStryder Posts: 172 Deckhand
    All my spoons have a split ring and I always use a swivel. I buy quality swivels and never had one fail. I believe the ring and the swivel improve the action of spoons. You are trying to trick a fish to hitting a piece of metal the hardware imo doesn't deter strikes and swivel gives the advantage of changing size and colour quickly.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky