Home General Fishing

Anyone with a SideVu/SideScan Fish Finder

questianquestian FLPosts: 42 Greenhorn
Have you ever been able to see snook/reds underneath docks or mangroves or is this wishful thinking?

Replies

• HallTHallT Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Without going into the technical details, side/down imaging works a little differently than traditional sonar (for seeing individual fish). That said, side imaging lets you see structure under docks that attract fish. With imaging, you can see bait schools and really big fish, but a little harder to see reds and snook unless it's a really expensive set up that perhaps someone's else can comment on.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I can see tarpon most times... schools of big jacks show up.  "maybe" if you have it set with a pretty short distance you could pick them up (the snook)... but I've never really tried.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I just bought a Garmin Striker Plus 7SV.  Playing around with the unit to see what it can do - as of right now, the answer to your question is no.  Perhaps by adjusting settings and learning what to look for, you could see them at short distances (20 feet or less).  Long distances - not  likely.

I can hardly see the pilings when going by a dock.  I can see manatees and dolphins but they are still relatively small blobs.
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Check out the hummingbird Helix with the new Mega Side imaging.... amazing!

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS