Skip to main content
Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Binoculars recommendation

Hoping to get a good pair of offshore binoculars.  Any recommendations?  No real budget, would rather buy quality.  Thanks 

Replies

• bswivbswiv Posts: 8,431 Admiral
    We've used Nikon, Steiner, Eagle and a couple of others of the mid-priced ones both in the woods and on the boat.

Can not tell you which was best, though I did have the MISFORTUNE to get handed a pair of Swarovski one morning by a friend which clearly made the case that what I was used to was definitely not top end. None of them failed and all were clear enough to be very serviceable.

Steiners were 10 power.........and a bear to hold still enough in the boat so I sold them.

The Nikons in 7 power are what are on the seat of the truck all the time when I work and they get to ride in the boat a lot too. 

Of course it's not just brand but options that can make or break, the 10 power on the Steiner being my mistake even though they were solid and clear.

I know that's not really a answer but it may help to decide on power, research eye relief ( glasses or not? ), style ( porro or roof prism ) and also how large a unit you can stand to use before you pick a brand.

• ShelShel Posts: 1,066 Officer
    If interested, I have a brand new pair of West Marine 7 x 50 that I won a couple years ago can make a sweet deal on.
  • StryderStryder Posts: 172 Deckhand
    The classic marine binocs are 7 x 50.  If you go with a higher magnification what you are looking at will seem a lot more unstable. With the boat moving around in the waves the higher magnifications magnify the movement as well. You can buy image stabilizing binos but they are very expensive. I like Zeiss optics.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky

• LAsportsmanLAsportsman Posts: 25 Deckhand
    I'm a fan of Vortex. You can spend as much as you want on them, but I like my Diamondbacks (lowest tier). Can't beat their lifetime warranty.
  • thatredneckguyjamiethatredneckguyjamie Posts: 174 Deckhand
    x2 for Vortex, but if money is not an object its hard to beat swarovski or leica
  • ReelsaintReelsaint Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Nikon Monarch great mid priced glasses
  • woeivwoeiv Posts: 108 Deckhand
    edited March 2018 #8
    Vortex x3. I also have a pair of Tract that I was gifted. They are nicer, but the price point is higher 
  • kilgorollokilgorollo Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Minox is a little known brand and their top tier have gotten reviews that put them up with leica, swarovski etc.  I think its their HG line.  Built like tanks, I got a mid range pair and its amazing the light transmission that passes through them, dark overcast days and even night is not a issue.  I have never got to truly use the the granders to compare but I love mine.
  • portusrogerportusroger Posts: 177 Deckhand
    Shel said:
    If interested, I have a brand new pair of West Marine 7 x 50 that I won a couple years ago can make a sweet deal on.
    Can you pm me what you would take for them? And location?
  • Joe PJoe P Posts: 211 Deckhand
    Steiner - There is no better, a bot more expensive but comes with a lifetime warranty !
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,066 Officer
    Shel said:
    Can you pm me what you would take for them? And location?

I'm sorry but I actually sold them about two days after I posted that.