Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

3/25/18 report

Headed out today to 15 miles SW of Clearwater. Water was much rougher than the forecast. Had trouble getting the anchor to stick. When we did get it to stick we caught a 22 inch red snapper, two 28 and a 27 inch gag and a keeper mangrove snapper. All ended up going back for another day. Had a fun day just wished the water was a little calmer.

Replies

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 318 Deckhand
    Great way to spend time with the kids!
  • Jas2Jas2 Posts: 229 Deckhand
    Good job Bfi....but sux having to throw everything back ! 
    How deep of water were you in 15 out ?

BTW ......get a hat and sunscreen on your son ....start em` early !!
  • BfiBfi Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Jas2 said:
    Good job Bfi....but sux having to throw everything back ! 
    How deep of water were you in 15 out ?

BTW ......get a hat and sunscreen on your son ....start em` early !!
    He and I get to fishing and forget about things like that. Luckily my wife is there to make sure he is layered in sun screen! He also often wears a neck gaiter. Hoping to get him in better habits with sun protection than I often do.

We were in 65 ft
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 259 Deckhand

Blake, great pics.  as for protection, yes - good idea to start them early.  As you know I work in the medical community, and skin cancer is no joke.  We get a LOT of it down here and it can be VERY serious.  I do bi-yearly screenings myself, always glop up the sunscreen, and wear special shirts that have a built-in neck gaiter that can also become a hood and face mask.  Gillz is the name of the company and they are well worth the cost to get one for everyone on your crew.

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,271 Admiral
    Smiles tell it all
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Yeah, they do!
    Nice Grouper!
    God, save the South!
  • BfiBfi Posts: 118 Deckhand
    grey2112 said:

Blake, great pics.  as for protection, yes - good idea to start them early.  As you know I work in the medical community, and skin cancer is no joke.  We get a LOT of it down here and it can be VERY serious.  I do bi-yearly screenings myself, always glop up the sunscreen, and wear special shirts that have a built-in neck gaiter that can also become a hood and face mask.  Gillz is the name of the company and they are well worth the cost to get one for everyone on your crew.

I am definitely trying to get better at it and for sure trying to get him in the habbit!
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,244 Moderator
    Great day of fishing, it was definitely lumpier than advertised.