Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tampa Bay Bait

Taking a buddy of mine that strictly fishes freshwater out this weekend. In attempt to get him hooked on inshore, we'll be targeting your classics. For the full effect, I want to show him the capabilities of live chum (he was impressed with videos online). I assured him this is a normal practice of mine, when I can get a hold of bait. Without any more fluff, has the BAIT shown up in shallower water yet? I'm concerned the white bait is still deeper around Skyway. I haven't been on the water too much lately and not sure if they have started moving into deeper pockets and grass flats yet like Bulkhead?

Anything helps!

Tight Lines,
SS

Replies

• FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,013 Officer
    Hasn't really been on the flats yet. Water temp at Skyway last Tuesday was 63 degrees. There were 9 charter boats lined up at the Skyway at 9:30AM. Took us an hour + to get bait. With this cold front it's going to be more of the same. Skyway has the bait just need to make sure you have a 1.6lb net. We ended up saying screw it and threw the 1/2" and gilled a lot and shook out what we needed. It was a pain but 1/4" or 3/8" wouldn't get you but 10-20 baits at a time. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,004 AG
    edited March 2018 #3
    There is a huge amount of bait well up inside the bay, but as Fusion noted, it's been tough to get at the Skyway and outwards.  If I were out near the Skyway, I'd be using Sabikis.