Merc 175SX on 189 2011. Mounting hole ?

PlugKasterPlugKaster Posts: 7 Greenhorn
Replacing motor in kind. Cant remember which mounting hole to use. Highest or second hole? Its currently on the second but memory says the old engine was on the top.
Thanks

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,318 Officer
    Second hole down is fine. But myself and a few others preferred it all the way down. You were able to trim the motor up more and get the bow up and was faster along with better fuel economy. Hope this helps.
  • PlugKasterPlugKaster Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    It does. Thanks I was sure that the old engine was all the way down. I cant believe it is that big a deal to drop the engine.
    Im not making RPMS either. I thinking I have a throttle cable issue on top of all this....
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 945 Officer
    I like mine as high as possible without it blowing out. The skeeg in the water is a tremendous drag.
  • PlugKasterPlugKaster Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    had motor dropped to last hole @ 20 hour service.   stunning how much of a difference it makes
    had motor dropped to last hole @ 20 hour service.   stunning how much of a difference it makes
    Told Ya.  B)
  • seavee05seavee05 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    PlugKaster said:

Plug Caster did lowering the motor increase the RPM's?
    5l8lqw.jpg
    edited March 20 #8
    Lowering the motor does not increase the rpm's. But by dropping the motor your're able to trim the motor out more which in turn will increase your RPM's and lift of the boat....
    You will be able to run one higher inch pitch prop by doing so as long as you were propped correctly to start with.