Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Last minute Big Mango hunt st pete 3-18

clarosaclarosa Posts: 677 Officer
Well i woke up this morning with the intentions of heading to the beach with a couple buddies...a lil tradition we've done for my bday the past few years. My one friend said screw it, lets go fishing into the evening instead. So at 12:15 we loaded the boat up and headed to o niels. We caught some live pinfish, pigfish, and squirrelfish and headed west 25 miles. By the time we got anchored it was around 5pm. Bite started off slow, but eventually picked up. We caught a 20" black grouper which was pretty cool. The big boys didn't show up till the sun went down, and they came with a vengeance! We got them pretty steadily, on frozen dines first then switched to livies. We plugged away and eventually got our 3man limit with a good amount of them well over the 20" mark with the biggest 27". We could only fit 20 in the 80qt engel because of the size, so we used the food cooler for the rest. Weather was perfect for the ride out and in. Couldn't have asked for a better birthday weekend. Till next time, tight lines! - Chris

Replies

• grey2112grey2112 Posts: 259 Deckhand
    NICE!  I've yet to catch a mango on hook-and-line.  Get all of them spearing, but then again I've never fished at night.  Gonna have to try this someday.  How deep were you and approximately what area?  We see some 20-22" ones 22 miles off NPR in 50-60 feet.
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 768 Officer
    nice work - no ARS swarm??
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 677 Officer
    grey2112 said:
    NICE!  I've yet to catch a mango on hook-and-line.  Get all of them spearing, but then again I've never fished at night.  Gonna have to try this someday.  How deep were you and approximately what area?  We see some 20-22" ones 22 miles off NPR in 50-60 feet.
    We were in 80'. I don't catch them as big up in Port Richey for whatever reason. I do have some good area's In 55-60' that hold some 18-22"er's but not he consistent bruisers I can get 30 miles south. They just average bigger size a little south. 
    nice work - no ARS swarm??
    Not this time! Stayed a little shalower and we only caught one ARS in the 10 lb range. Thought I had a big ole mang...wasn't cool! haha
  • Just 1 MoreJust 1 More Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Good catch.. Love some big goos
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,273 Admiral
    Way to catch'em up
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Mako224Mako224 Posts: 490 Deckhand
    edited March 2018 #8
    Awesome job Capt. I changed up and went East. tried some early season Mahi. Ended with 1 bailer and threw 2 peanuts back. Landed a sail fish also. Came in late and grabbed some nice lanes and Sea bass fro tacos. I was contemplating going Friday into Saturday. Man I wish I did now. How was the water temp? 

Chumming I assume? How far down was the jig falling before a strike? I was out 2 weeks ago and the current was ripping. Needed 6 oz to hold bottom on anchor. 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,299 Moderator
    Wow , solid mangs !!

"You'll get your weather"
    Mako224 said:
    Awesome job Capt. I changed up and went East. tried some early season Mahi. Ended with 1 bailer and threw 2 peanuts back. Landed a sail fish also. Came in late and grabbed some nice lanes and Sea bass fro tacos. I was contemplating going Friday into Saturday. Man I wish I did now. How was the water temp? 

Chumming I assume? How far down was the jig falling before a strike? I was out 2 weeks ago and the current was ripping. Needed 6 oz to hold bottom on anchor. 
    Nice..fishing over there can be fun. done a lot of fishing from hollywood all the down to the marquesas. Yea, I chummed pretty hard. Strikes were mainly near the bottom, though we did get one pig on the freelined pinfish that was 26". Current was wierd...average on the top, but ripping on the bottom. Made for tough conditions for feeling the bites and hooking the fish.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,246 Moderator
    Nice job, some real goozers in that mix. A great Birthday for sure.