Ten Thousand Island Fishing / Camping Report and Video

Last week I spent 6 days fishing and camping in the 10K Islands. The weather was very windy and I found few fish on the outside on the first day. The second day and for the rest of the week I fished the back country and focused on creeks, oyster bars and passes that had good current flow. Following this pattern produced a lot of fish (snook, jacks, trout and mangrove). I was using a white jig the whole time with a little shrimp Pro Cure on it.

This was my biggest snook of the trip a 33".

After a day of fishing a good meal on the beach watching the sun go down was a great way to end the day!

Here is the video of the trip:  https://youtu.be/5nLWwt2iF9s

Replies

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 542 Officer
    Man, what a great trip! 
    its been way too long since I've been down.  Thanks for the report
    Support the Snook & Gamefish Foundation
    http://sgf.gamefishcloud.com/

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone
  • Fly SlingerFly Slinger Atlanta Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Nice!

• Ronnieda06Ronnieda06 OrlandoPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Wht kind of white jig
  • VikingViking Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    Wht kind of white jig
    Depending on how deep the water is I use either a 1/8 oz (water up to 3 feet) or 1/4 oz (water 3 to 8 feet) chartreuse Strike King jig with a pearl white 4" paddle tale.  On this trip I was using Z Man plastic bodies but DOA, Tsunami and other manufacturers bodies will work too.  I also "paint" gills on the front of my jig with Shrimp Pro Cure scent.  The key to presentation is to cast up current and give the jig time to sink in the current towards the bottom.  For each foot of depth count 1 second and then add a few seconds for good measure. Once on the bottom give the jig a twitch or two and let it sink back towards the bottom then repeat.  The twitch retrieve imitates what a shrimp does and everything eats shrimp.  When I was a teenager in SW Florida I used to do a lot of snorkeling in mangrove creeks.  What I observed was that the snook would lie on the leading edge of a deep hole facing into the current just below the level of the shallow bottom waiting in ambush for bait.  When the bait got to close the snook would pop up and eat and then return back to its holding station.  Interesting thing at slack tide the snook would disappear where they went I have no idea.  Thanks for your question and I hope this information helps.
  • Golfn1Golfn1 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Great report !  What was water quality like during your trip ?...and did that matter where and when you fished ?
    Golfn1 said:
    Great report !  What was water quality like during your trip ?...and did that matter where and when you fished ?
    The water was very cloudy on the front side near the Gulf.  It was cloudy in the back country but not as bad as the front side.  In my personal experience my catch rate is better in cleaner water.  Fish will always be eating especially when the temperatures rise so I would look for the cleanest water you can find.  The wind had been blowing pretty good before we got there and during our trip which I think got everything stird up.  

The key thing for me on this trip was finding a good current that went by a oyster bar, point or pass.  If fishing around mangroves focus on the banks that have live mangroves.  The banks that had dead mangroves did not hold any fish when I was there.  Another tip, if you fish mangroves skip cast your bait in.  Skip casting is more of a natural presentation than a noisy high arched cast.
  • chalmerspchalmersp Posts: 257 Deckhand
    Looking to go camp the glades for a few days next week! Weather doesnt look GREAT, but tolerable. What sites did you stay at? How far south did you run? Ill be in a Gheenoe with a 6.6 gal tank and an extra 5 onboard... 
    Thanks! 
    Panther and White Horse Keys are favorite sites for camping in the area.  Be sure to print out the tide chart for the area because at low tide your boat could be a long way from the water at your campsite.  I use the tides for Round Key for planning. I fished the area for 6 days and used around 7 gallons of gas.  I usually carry 12 gallons because as you know there are not many fuel options in the area.  Hope you have a great trip!
  • Golfn1Golfn1 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    How skinny was the water you were fishing ?  My  boat only drafts in 15”. It looks from the video you fished a lot of narrower channels between point with good flow ?
    Golfn1 said:
    How skinny was the water you were fishing ?  My  boat only drafts in 15”. It looks from the video you fished a lot of narrower channels between point with good flow ?
    Except for one location the water leading up to the fishing location was 2 feet or deeper.  The shortest distance between two points is not a straight line due to a lot of oyster bars so go slow.  In this area I use Top Spot maps to locate likely areas to fish.  Florida Sportsman also makes excellent charts its just a buddy of mine got me started on Top Spot.  When looking at the map don't just gravitate to the numbers that are on the chart, I rarely fish those just because I don't like crowds.  Look for spots on the maps with gaps between islands (passes), points and creeks with good flows.  From my personal experience if you don't get a bite in 10 minutes move to another spot.  Funny thing is that a spot that does not produce on one tide could produce on a different tide stage.  One last thing is that a trolling motor will help you out a lot to get in the right position without scaring the fish.  If you don't have a trolling motor try and drift up on the spot you want to fish.  Thanks for the question and good luck!
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Excellent video! I really enjoyed watching it. My wife and I just moved to Montana a couple months ago, and I will definitely miss the everglades camping trips. Such amazing memories made. I am happy you posted this. Take care.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,352 Captain
    Great job all the way round.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you