Fellsmere Reservoir 1/29/18

Fellsmere Reservoir is a new impoundment separated by a levee from the Stickmarsh. The land for Fellsmere Reservoir had been a farm and then went through some serious enhancements and improvements to turn it into a world glass fishing hole.

I was researching Stickmarsh and found Ansin Garcia which lys directly South of Stickmarsh and the new Fellsmere Reservoir which is on the East side of Stickmarsh. Ansin Garcia is open to all access and is setup to give some protection from the wind. The new Fellsmere reservoir appears to be ready to fish,but has no ramps. At least for now it's paddle craft only. Lucky us, let's hope it take five more years to finish the ramps.

I fished there yesterday in the wind and rain and caught 29 bass. It was a beautiful day and I had the whole 10,000 acres to myself. I caught one on a spinnerbait and the rest on Zoom toads.

Replies

• LurchyLurchy Posts: 371 Deckhand

Sweet. I've fished Garcia before. There are quality fish in there. How was the access for you at fellsmere? Easy to get your kayak to the water and fishing areas? What route did you take to get there if you don't mind the questions. Might be able to take my paddleboard up there.. Good going.

• RollinRollin Posts: 1,532 Captain

I drug my Kayak about 60 yards to the water. You park your rig in the Stick Marsh ramp parking. The red dot is where the primitive ramp for kayaks is located. The Satellite image is out of date, the impoundment is now full of water.
    Take 507 north out of Fellsmere and turn West just before you cross the C-54 canal.

• SC53SC53 Posts: 348 Deckhand

Rollin, do you know if it’s restricted to kayaks or can you use a Jon boat? How about an electric motor?

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,457 Moderator

Place looks fishy.

"You'll get your weather"

Louie that place is totally loaded and there are some with size too

@SC53 said:
    Rollin, do you know if it’s restricted to kayaks or can you use a Jon boat? How about an electric motor?

I read somewhere that Johnboats are ok, but I don't remember any thing about electric motors. I'm new to this spot and no way do I consider myself an authority. Whatever you take up there you will have to drag or carry at least sixty yards.

Thanks

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,786 AG

No motors of any kind are allowed.

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

Thanks Joe

• LurchyLurchy Posts: 371 Deckhand

Thanks so much Rollin. Really great detailed info.. Much appreciated

• badcastbadcast Posts: 94 Greenhorn

be careful huge alligators there

• HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,997 Captain

@Rollin said:
    Fellsmere Reservoir is a new impoundment separated by a levee from the Stickmarsh. The land for Fellsmere Reservoir had been a farm and then went through some serious enhancements and improvements to turn it into a world glass fishing hole.

I was researching Stickmarsh and found Ansin Garcia which lys directly South of Stickmarsh and the new Fellsmere Reservoir which is on the East side of Stickmarsh. Ansin Garcia is open to all access and is setup to give some protection from the wind. The new Fellsmere reservoir appears to be ready to fish,but has no ramps. At least for now it's paddle craft only. Lucky us, let's hope it take five more years to finish the ramps.

I fished there yesterday in the wind and rain and caught 29 bass. It was a beautiful day and I had the whole 10,000 acres to myself. I caught one on a spinnerbait and the rest on Zoom toads.

The Reservoir is actually larger than the Marsh itself ? Guessing they had it stocked well from the Marsh. Going to create even more traffic in the years to come. Okeechobee is so heavily fished now, the water is muddy everywhere you go on the North End. Your really have to search hard for clean water, all the hydrillia is gone.
    We did find a couple places on the West Side that are clean, one holds so many 1lb fish.
    They really need to manage the place a little better vs just throwing tournament after tournament at it.
    It had to be done in Lake Erie 40 years ago.
    the Chesapeake with Rock fish / Crab
    And then hear they did a great job with salt water management.
    Just think Okeechobee needs some small ones taken out.

I cant wait to get up there. Thanks... Looks like a visit and fishing on foot might be fun for an hour or two.

• RiverRat22RiverRat22 Posts: 47 Greenhorn

No airboats was a condition of sale of the property.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

I'm not going to pick apart a newspaper article...but suffice it to say...it was poorly researched...with several inaccuracies.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • RiverRat22RiverRat22 Posts: 47 Greenhorn

@duckmanJR said:

It just seems like an odd condition to put in there. I guess they want to keep the noise level down for when they develop that area?

@RiverRat22 said:

@duckmanJR said:

It just seems like an odd condition to put in there. I guess they want to keep the noise level down for when they develop that area?

Yes,....When they put in a bunch of up scale housing they don't want the noise that they create.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • mclembassmclembass Posts: 21 Greenhorn

****Just some friendly advice.**** Went to stick marsh yesterday and notice a lot of individual vehicles parked in boat trailer parking spaces. If you are kayak guys fishing Fellsmere Lake and are not parked in individual vehicle parking spots, I would be careful. Some boaters may not appreciate not finding a spot to park their vehicle and boat trailer and do something to your vehicle you might not like. I would park in the overflow parking lot edges so you have less worries about your vehicle. The next 60 days are some of the busiest for the bass guys and crappy fisherman. Parking will be at a premium for the boaters. Again, just some good advice.

edited February 14 #21

Very Good advice.
    There will be a LOT of out of state anglers as well as locals.
    Main parking is for vehicles with trailers. I wouldn’t want to come back to who knows what done to my vehicle.
    How’d you do there Mc bass.

• mclembassmclembass Posts: 21 Greenhorn

Started out slow, only had 13 around noon. Then things heated up and ended up with 50. Biggest just over 7.

Nice. I’ve had some of my best days after noon. Will report back on how we do.

• rumit4rumit4 USAPosts: 18 Greenhorn
    I'm glad to you. I really interested to keep fishing.Thanks for kind your information.