Hillsboro 3.10.18 - Senior citizen delighted

CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 346 Deckhand
Hooked up with an oldtimer who used to fish the Great Lakes but never South Florida.

Inlet was lumpy in the dark as we headed to my favorite gog spot but they weren't home so my kite stayed in the tube!  :(
Plan B found us drifting whole frozen sardines in a 3-4' swell but Darryl was not  disturbed,...even when the odd 5 footer sprayed us.

It wasn't long before my octogenarian had a nice king along side, ...and then another.

Due to the beating our poor spines were enduring in my little 17' Mckee Craft, I decided to return to port and his anxiously waiting wife!  

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Replies

• Dustin BoyntonDustin Boynton Boynton beachPosts: 331 Deckhand
    Nice job!
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    Not a bad first day for an out-of-towner.  Kings usually put on a pretty good show with that first long fast run.

The gogs are probably still around somewhere.  They move a lot.  I haven't gone after them in several months, so I don't have any fresh intel, but I've found them in lots of different places.  The very first time I fished out of Hillsboro, I picked 4 places to try for them.  2 of the 4 paid off, & that was going in cold with no local knowledge.  Don't get hung up on one magic spot.  Move around a bit.  Try different places.  It pays off in the long run.

• jayfrizzojayfrizzo Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    edited March 15 #4
    Nice report and great pic! 

You were drifting live sardines, right? 
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,497 Captain
    Nice, great job
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 346 Deckhand
    Jayfrizzo --- frozen with 1/2 oz. lead on triple ganged hooks

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• jayfrizzojayfrizzo Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Thanks, Coastal.  Seems easier than wrangling up livies.