Inshore fishing trip in May. Looking for suggestions.

I live in Orlando.  I fish Mosquito Lagoon regularly.  For the past 10 years or so, 6 of my buddies and I fish the Sebastian inshore areas for 4 or 5 days as an annual trip. 

The water and conditions down down there have been getting worse every year it seems.  

We are considering new areas, including stump pass/Englewood, Stuart, the keys. 

What suggestions for do do you have for good inshore fishing with lodging on the water?  We are going in May. 

We we have three flats boats and some pretty seasoned fisherman. 

Replies

• Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 426 Deckhand
    You are correct about the water conditions.....Bad Bad Bad Look elsewhere, waste of time here.Going back to Bass Fishing with a Flats Boat.
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
  • mcsnookmcsnook Posts: 158 Deckhand
    Keys!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,799 AG
    May?...Pine island...either Tarpon lodge in pineland...   or up in Bokeelia...several places or do an airB&B.
    The place should be rockin in May.... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • ElapidElapid Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    but the keys... in may... it's world class tarpon :)
  • whole lot of lovewhole lot of love Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    would go to georgia    
    Elapid said:
    but the keys... in may... it's world class tarpon :)

May will have Tarpon in the Sanibel / PI sound area... plus Trout / Reds /snook

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • RedzmanRedzman Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Thanks all - Sort of what I had in mind!  
    Zac....if you still have my number...call me...SW fla can be awesome ...with intel  ;)
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    Well now i feel like a pretty big failure for going to the keys in May and never hooking a tarpon.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • theUtheU The Orlando SewerPosts: 36 Greenhorn
    Avoid the Stuart area. The Indian River from Fort Pierce to St Lucie Inlet is ground zero of the Orlando Sewer Dump. The water has been pollution is getting worse each year and beaches are closed regularly from toxic blue and green bacteria!   If you want clear water and sight fish to massive schools of Redfish you have to try Outer Banks in NC. They have an amazing inshore fishery with miles and miles of live grass flats! 
  • ElapidElapid Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Well now i feel like a pretty big failure for going to the keys in May and never hooking a tarpon.   

And my last time there I couldn't get a hookup either, but just watching a 120+ lb **** homing in on your fly is enough to stop your heart for few seconds. IMO, nothing better in the fishing world; and remember we got them right here on our west coast in a few months ;)