Having a blast out of crystal river

Just bought a new boat and been trying to get my break in period done so I’ve been running out of crystal river and man let me tell y’all what the Spanish mackerel have been on fire the last couple weeks using medium action inshore rods and ten pound test line the drag stays screaming I don’t really care to eat them but boy are you hey fun to catch! 

Replies

• Hunter85Hunter85 Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Are they fun*
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,212 Captain
    Ice them well and they are a tasty fish 
    You should have been here yesterday
    edited March 9 #4
    I am funny about the fish I eat it’s more of a  texture thing than taste I prefer firmer fish like cobia and triggerfish 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,823 Admiral
    what depth are you catching them in?  water temp?  live bait or artis?   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,439 Officer
    Don't worry about grammatical errors. No one on here needs to be that nit picky. Spanish macs are great fun to catch and it sounds like you are catching a bunch. Thumbs up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BadgerFanBadgerFan Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    edited March 9 #7
    Hey Hunter85, It appears you may be slightly less green than I (my apologies if I'm wrong). I'll be down to CR for the first time in 2 weeks. Staying for 3 weeks enjoying my recent retirement. I've got a freshwater boat in WI, but am pondering picking up a boat in FL. Do you mind my asking what you bought, and what general features are good for the inshore fishery? 
    Thanks
    Meant to say "what you bought"
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,508 Captain
    Fun-Fishing that is what it is all about.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    Soda I’m fishing in 30-32ft of water on live and dead shrimp I’m not sure of the water temps 
    Badger fan I bought a nautic star 22xts bay boat as for the inshore fishing I am very green, I have been a bass fisherman my entire life and never really cared for saltwater fishing due to the cost till about two years ago when a buddy of mine bought an offshore boat and started taking me and just the shear number of fish we catch got me hooked 
  • hodag_guyhodag_guy Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Badgerfan, I'm also fairly green to saltwater, this is my fifth trip to Florida with a boat. We're staying in CR this trip, last 4 years were farther south in the 10K islands area. Been out a couple times here in CR, last couple days on shore because of the winds. In both areas I learned real fast you need a shallow draft boat to fish inshore, your typical WI walleye boat wouldn't be great unless you stuck to rivers and high tide times. I picked up a Tracker Grizzly 1860 (white, of course :)  It's basically an 18ft jon boat with a mod V bow and a center console. Large front and rear decks too. It's been great for us, we've run very skinny water (as they say here) and if you do run aground you don't have to worry about scratching a gel coat. Yup, I did that out of Chokoloskee once, no harm done as it was sand and shell. Plus it's light enough to get out and pull your way free if you don't have a push pole. Everybody's got their favorite boat, this one has been good so far for us.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,823 Admiral
    Hunter85 said:
    Soda I’m fishing in 30-32ft of water on live and dead shrimp I’m not sure of the water temps 
    Thanks!    I kinda figured it was deeper water than i could get to.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Thanks for the insight on the boats. Yeah....a good old WI walleye boat wouldn't do well, not the least of which is because none of the boats up here are for salt water. Hence - need a new boat! Whoever dies with the most toys wins!
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 899 Officer
      Yeah there are some big Spanish out at those depths. Won’t be long before the cobia and kings start showing up as well. 
      As far as the question about boats, that topic’s been debated on here a ton. Having two boats, a good really shallow inshore skiff/flats boat and a deep V 20’+ (Bigger the better) offshore boat would be idea. As far as compromise a 20’+ bay boat with a shallow draft or boats like the DLV Carolina skiff can get the job done. Just have to pay close attention to the tides inshore and pick your days weather wise offshore. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,517 Captain
    One of my favorite fish to eat, great grilled!
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • hodag_guyhodag_guy Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    BadgerFan said:
    Thanks for the insight on the boats. Yeah....a good old WI walleye boat wouldn't do well, not the least of which is because none of the boats up here are for salt water. Hence - need a new boat! Whoever dies with the most toys wins!
    My boat is aluminum, no problem with salt use as long as you hose it and the trailer down completely after each use and flush the motor. Plus the aluminum stands up to rough stuff on the bottom.
    You really have to decide what your main wants are if you are wanting to fish the skinny stuff I would say aluminum all the way or something of the likes of a gheonue I personally wanted something I can still bass fish out of in but still be able to run offshore. I’ve got to give a little to get a little I’ve got to pay close attention to the weather and sea reports to comfortably go offshore and have to give up a few places I bass fish cause the boat is to big and drafts a little to much water