You guys be careful out there today

The Mrs was doing some paperwork for a couple yesterday.  Got some money, bought a 35' cruiser down in Palm Beach County somewhere.   Their plans...drive it over to the Tampa area this weekend....Never ran a boat, never owned a boat, never steered a boat.     Seems like a pretty uneducated and unwise thing to do if you ask me.   Maybe they'll be fine.   My opinion is they'll make it half way to Miami and duck in the nearest inlet and park it.  And never use it again.  
People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Replies

• Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,798 Admiral
    Saturday 6-8' 
    Sunday thru Tuesday 8-10' with a 15 second period.

I would take the ICWW
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,789 Admiral
    I wouldn't even attempt something like that right out of the gate.    No experience whatsoever.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Spooky ToothSpooky Tooth Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Like that old saying more money than brains. Hope nothing bad happens to them or hopefully someone talks them out of making that run.
    I do remember the ignorance of new boat ownership.   When we bought ours only 3 years ago i barely did anything to it and we took it down to Key Largo and i ran that thing all over the place, 10 miles out to fish and back to where we were staying every day.    

Three years later, and i've done more crap to that boat than I can remember, i'm still amazed it made it out and back when we first bought it.   It was 16yrs old and had been sitting for a number of years.   

Maybe ignorance is bliss. 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 420 Deckhand
    It is amazing that you can buy a boat without and experience or knowledge and off you go.  Not only is that a pretty big trip but the seas are going to be hazardous for this upcoming week.  Hope they at least know how to use the radio on channel 16 for calling for help.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    We were all ignorant at some time in the past.

Hopefully they find some friends to help them out.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,551 Captain
    JIMinPB said:
    I know that's right.  I never thought I'd live to be this old.
    JIMinPB said:

Hopefully they find some friends to help them out.
    That's the truth!    Ignorant but still wary enough not to attempt something like this unlearned. 
  • Tori'S ToyTori'S Toy Posts: 271 Deckhand
    Being a bit safety nerd and not wanting to bang up a new boat, I went to chapman school of seamanship before I went to pick up my boat in PA and drag it back to FL. Figured i"d play bumper-boats with their boat instead of mine.  19 yrs later haven't sunk it yet. Oh yeah, it's a Whalet. Guess sinking it will be hard to do.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=230307&d=1483582365
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 820 Officer
    I would think that they would go across lake O. But making that journey with no experience should be interesting to say the least.
    I willing to bet they have at least one grounding.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • kmarsh724kmarsh724 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Any word how it turned out?
    kmarsh724 said:
    Any word how it turned out?
    nothing yet 
    @timmcollins
    I'd have been surprised if they made it out of the inlet. 
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,497 Captain
    Hope they wised up and got some one with some experience to tag along. 
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    I asked the wife, still no word.  I'm sure we would have heard on the news or something if they had capsized  or something bad had happened.