YT Question

Been doing more fishing around the power plant and instead of putting in at CR and running all the way up there was thinking of using YT. Problem is I never launched out of there. Looking at a Google map it looks like after going out the river channel for a bit you can safely turn south and head down through the spoil islands.
At what point, marker, etc is it safe to turn south. I'm guessing right now with the lower tides I might have to go out a ways.

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 944 Officer
    When fishing that area from YT, I always cleared #1 before turning south.
    Better yet is the barge canal ramp. Will cut quite a bit of time off your trip.
    I enjoy the putt-putt out the river myself.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • ocalaocala Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Isn't it several miles from the barge canal ramp to where it opens up into the gulf?
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 944 Officer
    I think its a 5 or 10 minute run depending on your boat I guess.
    I was assuming you were talking fishing the general Drum island area.
    Both the ramp on barge canal and the end of 40 have their own issues,
    that's why I prefer YT marina and enjoy the river.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • mako25mako25 Dunnellon, FLPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    As of 2/19/18 YT marina was closed again, you can still use the ramp but don't count on it for bait and supplies
  • bullbaybullbay Posts: 134 Deckhand
    YT Marina is open :)
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 592 Officer
    The route you take to get to the powerplant from the Rt 40 ramp at Yankeetown depends on the tide and how shallow your boat can run.  Here's a route you can take on a medium tide with a draft of 18" or less.  
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,457 Moderator
    bullbay said:
    YT Marina is open :)

Yep , they needed a new operator. Heard 15 bucks gets you a launch and 75 live shrimp.
    "You'll get your weather"
    Thanks Vertigo.
    It's a bass boat so 18 inches should do.

• Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 899 Officer
    4WARD said:
    Both the ramp on barge canal and the end of 40 have their own issues,
    that's why I prefer YT marina and enjoy the river.
      Yeah the barge canal ramp attracts a lot of bone heads and can be really slow with only dock space for one boat at a time. I’ve got there end of day and had 6 boats circling to load up for 30 minutes with a pontoon trying to launch at 4pm on a Saturday.
       It is a nice fast run out of there though.
      Study Vertigo's route on google earth and plot some points. That should get you over there and is pretty protected from wind as well. Just beware, those little bars and rocks tend to jump out and find you. I typically cut across to the BC from YT 18a, then through the spoils and toward the outer point of the power plant discharge (depending of course where I’m headed exactly) I fish some of the spoil island points off the BC on my way across sometimes. Just know that little bit of open water can get darn choppy in the wind. 
  • sEA aRKERsEA aRKER Inglis fl.Posts: 120 Deckhand
    at the ramp on the BC look on the side of the floating doc for an arrow, that marks the end of the ramp !!! and a deep drop off,. back in beyond the mark and you will hang your trailer.
  • sEA aRKERsEA aRKER Inglis fl.Posts: 120 Deckhand
    you can also run Bennets creek to the Barge canal and beyond, but it is idle only the whole year! When you get to the  bay there are a few rocks to the left of the creek entrance and a bar that juts out to the west ,you will need at least a low tide of +1.5' to idle across to the Barge canal which is due south about 250 yds. look back as you idle to the canal to  get a land mark to find the creek mouth on your return if you dont  have  a plotter. trim your motor up and go slow !!
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. 
    Lower unit and skag are still in relatively good shape. Plan to keep them that way.
    Will probably idle out the first time just so I have piece of mind.