Radio chatter.. what channel do you guys put on (I'm sure its not a secret...)

taymagtaymag Delray Beach, FLPosts: 708 Officer
I used to fish with a guy that always has his radio on some channel where it was encouraging hearing the chatter (not to mention helpful) and I'd be glad to contribute but I always have people with me so never turn mine on...

Anyway, whats the known channel for this?

Replies

• tijeretatijereta Posts: 211 Deckhand
    I use 68 most of the time around Fort Pierce.
  • taymagtaymag Delray Beach, FLPosts: 708 Officer
    tijereta said:
    I use 68 most of the time around Fort Pierce.
    I'm down in Boynton but that sounds familiar 
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,508 Captain
    14 for Panacea and 18 for Carabelle
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • ginghyginghy Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    72 off of Boca./ Hillsboro

It was sad last weekend 02/17. Radio check and fishing report had a dozen replies of "nothing". 
    Anyone know Lakeworth/Boynton/Delray area?

Ill try 68 and 72
  • phantom561phantom561 Posts: 240 Deckhand
    Palm Beach and Jupiter boats use 19
  • flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 112 Deckhand
    68/72 out of FP
    Palm Beach and Jupiter boats use 19
    Interesting.. now I have 3 channels to test hah I was hoping it was one across the board
  • On weekends, the pros are hanging out on 10 to get away from the weekend warriors on 68/72
  • Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,963 Captain
    ginghy said:
    72 off of Boca./ Hillsboro

It was sad last weekend 02/17. Radio check and fishing report had a dozen replies of "nothing". 

Radio checks are on 27 for South Florida. I think its operated by Sea Tow. Just ask for a radio check and it will replay your voice.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 431 Deckhand
    I was out of Ft Pierce today and caught a bunch of commercial guys on 19....There was no much on 68 but it was pretty rough and there was limited boats out today
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 776 Officer
    IN the Stuart area we use 71 but i have my radio set to scan 68, 71, 72 and naturally 16 for safety in event a boater needs help.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    edited March 3 #14

Radio checks are on 27 for South Florida. I think its operated by Sea Tow. Just ask for a radio check and it will replay your voice.

26 also, it depends where you are

Those are duplex frequencies.  You can't hear the other guys calling in the radio checks, you can only hear the playback from the station that has the marine operator's license. 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 431 Deckhand
    JIMinPB said:

Those are duplex frequencies.  You can't hear the other guys calling in the radio checks, you can only hear the playback from the station that has the marine operator's license. 
    That is very interesting....so if I do a radio check on 26 or 27 and don't get a response and then do one on 16 and get a response does this mean anything????
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    edited March 4 #16
    Garysmo said:
    JIMinPB said:

That is very interesting....so if I do a radio check on 26 or 27 and don't get a response and then do one on 16 and get a response does this mean anything????
    If you do a radio check on a duplex channel & you are out of range of the shore station, nobody will hear you.  Even if you are 50-feet from another boat that has his radio on the same channel, he will not hear you.  Duplex channels transmit on one frequency & receive on another.  The shore station has the opposite set up.  That is why they can hear you & you can hear them.

Non-duplex channels have transmit & receive frequencies that are the same.  Everybody hears everybody on a non-duplex channel, like 9, 16, 69, 72, etc. 

In the US, VHF Duplex channels include 20, 24-28, & 84-86
    https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtvhf

When you are far out at sea, take a handheld that is on 26 & try talking to another radio that is nearby, also on 26.  You will hear nothing.  That is normal.  Now switch both radios to a working channel like 72 & try it again.  You should be able to hear that clearly.