This Sunday...Bad Tides?

It's looking like this Sunday's tides are looking pretty non-existent.  Looking for a little advice.  When the tide swings are not very much, is it better to fish inshore, nearshore or off-shore?  I'm leaning towards hitting some nearshore reefs and chumming a bunch.  Then at least I won't burn a bunch of gas.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Dodger

Replies

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Stay home and wax the boat, or just leave the rods at home and take boat ride,
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,734 Moderator
    Nuc knows  what he is talking about. 
    larrywitt
  • stallan54stallan54 Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Went out to 70 FOW yesterday.  Headed out of Punta Rassa at 9:00.  In the 24 Mako it was a bit bumpy on the way out but still cruised at 25 mph.  Wind definitely kicked up since the time I woke up.  Got out to our spot by 10 and wind died down and made for a very nice day on the water.  Ride back at 3:30 consisted of 1-2 footers.  Didn't even spill my beer.  Lots of porgy, lanes, grouper shorts, but non-stop action in some bottom just shy of the 240 ledge.
  • dodger31dodger31 Ft MyersPosts: 228 Deckhand
    We ended up chasing Macks around Causeway Reef.  Tons of birds diving and fish busting all over the place.  Pretty shy about hitting our spoons and stick baits.  Not sure if they were leader shy (I had a wire on both rigs) or what.  Only caught 4 mackerel up to 24 inches.  Tons of wildlife out there.  Turtles, dolphins, sea ducks.  My son was happy!
    On the way back saw about 10 HUGE black drum floating belly up?  Is that red tide?

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,734 Moderator
    dodger31 said:
    We ended up chasing Macks around Causeway Reef.  Tons of birds diving and fish busting all over the place.  Pretty shy about hitting our spoons and stick baits.  Not sure if they were leader shy (I had a wire on both rigs) or what.  Only caught 4 mackerel up to 24 inches.  Tons of wildlife out there.  Turtles, dolphins, sea ducks.  My son was happy!
    On the way back saw about 10 HUGE black drum floating belly up?  Is that red tide?

Red tide would my guess. It is a problem.
  • striperphilstriperphil Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    Went out to Sanibel Island Thursday and it was completely trashed with dead mullet.  Thousands.  Went out Friday to about 60 ft. and the fishing was pretty good.  Got 6 really nice mangos and 20 or so really nice lanes.  Also caught probably 15 red grouper shorts and one gag.  Was very happy with the day.