Half cent sales tax hike straight to the crapper.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,799 AG
    Dr. Barille ( a son of south Brevard county) has hurt himself professionally in an effort to bring the real science to light.....the "powers that be"...do not like what he has to say...because...the truth is a bitter pill to swallow.  
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • ChadChad Satellite Beach, FLPosts: 132 Deckhand
    JohninFl said:
    I currently serve as the (volunteer) President of the Florida Sport Fishing Assoc in east central Fl. I am also a volunteer member of the Lagoon Oversight Committee.
    Respectfully
    John Durkee
    John - as a member of the oversight committee, can you comment on the FL Today articles and I believe some accusation from John Tobia regarding the lagoon tax $$ being spent on Viera astro turf ($5 million) and other park/Viera improvements?
  • straygeckostraygecko Cocoa BeachPosts: 66 Greenhorn
    That's the Tourist Development Tax (TDT) , not the 1/2 cent sales tax.  A recent law change added lagoon cleanup as a additional thing commissioners can choose to spend the TDT on.  Some people aren't happy the commissioners chose to spend $5M of TDT money on the same kind of things they have in the past instead of shifting it to lagoon cleanup.  The 1/2 cent sales tax can still only be spent on lagoon cleanup.  There is disagreement on the plan to spend the 1/2 cent sales tax that was also voiced at the same meeting.
  • FishseekerFishseeker Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    Stray is correct.  The Governor signed a HB giving descretion to divert funds targeted for commissioner pet projects to lagoon restoration but 3 of 5 commissioners voted against using the $5M for lagoon clean up.
    there is a similar thread on IRL/Banana River water condition with similar discussion.
    Geco: can you elaborate on the discussion or disagreement regarding the projects proposed and presumably funded  in 2018.
    comment in the aforementioned thread as well please.
    share your thots
    adios

Thanks for the clarification.
  • whole lot of lovewhole lot of love Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    seeing progress in our neighborhd!   new sewer lines are being put in as i type this.   the area their fixing ive seen leaking three times past 5 yrs.    thankyou all
    Titusville leaked 800,000 gallons of sewage into the river.  Dont worry, they stopped it and have tested the water and deemed it safe for all of us to enter.  KEEP PAYING YOUR HALF CENT SALES TAX TO THE BRAIN TRUST.

http://www.brevardtimes.com/2018/07/titusville-leaks-almost-1-million-gallons-of-sewage-in-indian-river-lagoon/ 

You seem pretty fired up.... what help is that? 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR said:
    You seem pretty fired up.... what help is that? 
    Yea.  Would you rather complacency like most everyone else? Not happy about this bs tax coming to fruition that a few more than 50% were dopped into voting this on 100% of us, with no change. Of course what I didnt forsee was that they'd be dumping sewage in the river while continuing to collect our money. Everyone should be fired up. This state is getting **** in front of our very eyes and everyone is standing around watching. Thats how I feel. 

Of course your in an adjacent county that would simply be the beneficiary of any cleanup that did occur, without any extra tax burden. Another one of the flaws. So why not be all chill about it  B)
    So,....other than venting on a fishing forum...what's your plan of action?
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Harass you? >:)

Well, I initially did what I could and voted no for this debacle.  Like watching all the other heinous things going on around the state right now, feels pretty helpless as a individual citizen and people have not really been able to find a means (or care enough) to unite with any effectiveness.  Look how many of us recs there are and everyone is in small pools of various groups...RFA, FRA, CCA, CSP, Captains for Clean Water etc.  What have I done when I was younger and didnt have kids and alot more time on my hands?  I'd spend some of my time attending local meetings, making donations to various groups....and guess what....the machine kept churning and basically it ended up being a big waste of my time. 

So I guess the least I can do is continue to bubble this up to the top in hopes that more and more people will see this for what it is.  Other than that - spend as much time on the water while we are still allowed and there's still things to catch..........
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Hey Chad, I somewhat agree with you.  I feel like a broken record at times as well.  I think the biggest piece that people are missing is that we as people have the right to sue and hold our government accountable.  The city of Titusville should receive a citation just like a private entity would and be give an ultimatum to fix the issue in a certain amount of time.  If that didn't happen it falls upon we the people to bring the case forward.  Otherwise it's like the movie the Departed....
    Certainly can not argue with your passion, but not sure you actually answered Duck’s question on plan of action.

I’m headed to the Save our lagoon Coalition meeting today.  Let’s have more discussion on this tomorrow.
    I wanting to understand your thoughts on lagoon restoration without an investment of tax dollars.

stay tuned
  • straygeckostraygecko Cocoa BeachPosts: 66 Greenhorn
    David Lane, one of the members of the citizens oversight committee for the 1/2 cent sales tax posted this update on Facebook a couple of weeks ago.  Remember, this is just getting started.  The types of projects needed to clean up the lagoon take lots of planning and permitting before we see the real work.  More will be happening over time as projects move into the implementation phase.  I went to a seminar by Captain Alex Gorichky last night and to paraphrase one of his comments on the lagoon cleanup, if we don't come together and keep the work happening but instead keep arguing over do this and not that then the lagoon is doomed.  We have a good citizens oversight committee that is made up of real people, not politicians that donate a lot of their time to meetings and their own research and are just as concerned, if not more, than all of us about the state of the lagoon.  We need to support our oversight committee and keep the work moving forward.

Save Our Lagoon (1/2 cent tax) update:

-Mims muck dredging under way
    -Breeze Swept neighborhood septic to sewer conversion complete and test results indicate substantial reduction to nutrient inflows to the lagoon. These are very impressive results thus far. Anyone with the opinion that nitrogen doesn't flow from a septic drain field into the nearby lagoon is quite simply wrong.
    -Turkey Creek dredging and monitoring indicate that reclaimed water irrigation is a significant contributer to nutrient inflows. Reclaimed water has all the nutrients your lawn needs, and unfortunately some this irrigation sheet-flows off lawns and into the lagoon. If you use reclaimed water, you do not need to add fertilizer at all...ever.
    -Oyster program has grown to 1200 farm sites (waterfront homeowners) and 8 reefs totalling 2,360 linear feet of oyster bags, that are showing impressive growth and natural oyster recruitment, both around the reef sites and several miles away. Upcoming work includes 8 more reef sites and 1.3 miles of linear oyster bags. Hopefully we'll have new oysters showing up throughout the lagoon!
    -Sykes Creek Muck Dredging behind schedule as new dump site for the waste muck is being evaluated. It will happen...be patient!
    -Several storm water collection, baffle box, and re-routing projects are underway. These projects limit storm water emptying into the lagoon without some type of nutrient settlement prior to flowing to lagoon. Remember, every ditch, flows to the lagoon!
    -Comprehensive evaluation of emergency sewer waste dumping into the lagoon under way! Preliminary results indicate a major source for the overflow of our sewer systems is quite simply homeowners leaving clean-out caps on their sewer pipes open!!! A study beachside where utilities were forced to dump emergency sewer waste during Hurricane Irma showed 97 clean-out caps were open, allowing for puddled water to flow directly into the sewer systems! How much water do you think could flow into 97 clean-outs, keeping in mind this is 4" pipe? Simply keeping clean-outs covered with the threaded caps will prevent rain water from flowing in!
    -Many, many more projects underway and in the pipeline coming our way in year 2 of the plan! Please be patient, we expect meaningful results to take 6-8 years. In the meantime, spread the word and volunteer. The single best source for volunteer opportunities is the Marine Resources Council (MRC), at Marine Resources Council. Contact them to help with shoreline cleanups, oyster farming, mangrove plantings and much much more.

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,966 Captain
    Thanks for the update. Nice to see work being done. I'm gonna be at my grandparents on the banana river this weekend. Nice to hear the mention of Sykes creek restoration. 
    Very nice Gecko...

I hope that Fishseeker will be giving me a personal update on the skiff tomorrow. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Thank you for that Gecko
    i hope to be at the citizens oversight committee meeting next Friday.  It would be great to get a head count of folks on the forum who plan to attend.
    Fishseeker - I sent you a IM.  Yes, I dont have a direct answer for you as to a plan of action as really any one single person.  In the past as I said I have attended meetings regarding fisheries closures, sand dumping on the beach etc and it ended up, in the end, just being a waste of my time.  I am glad to learn about ways to be involved and volunteer as I have done in the past for KBB, Surfrider etc.  I am already on the MRC email distribution as well.  

Gecko - thanks for the update and it is encouraging to hear some measurable results reported.  6-8 years, hopefully we'll see some kind of positive transition starting to occur before that time which would garner more public support.
  • MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    I could very well be way off on this, but wasn't there discussion of sinking artificial grass in various places to try and kick-start the natural ecological process? 
    Thanks for the IM
    Chad asked me “what is your plan”.  Fair enough.
    Background:  my view of government and elected officials , city, county, state and fed, is that they work for us.  In 30+ years as a fed (DoD and NNSA) I strived to maintain that view.  It’s our tax dollars that pay those salaries- sometimes they need to be reminded that they work for us.

Fact 1:  the 1/2% tax passed with 62% of voters in favor - that’ huge.
    Fact 2:  Brevard County, Natural Resources Management Department is now mandated to act ( they can’t just keep the money, nor can they mis-appropriate theses funds to projects like road repairs as one of our commissioners proposed).
    Fact 3:  there is a plan in place, contracted to and developed by Tetra Tech Inc., for Brevard County Natural Resources Management Department (BCNRMD)

This “Save Our [IRL] Project Plan 2018 Update has a lot of information.  I’ve read it, you should too.  Sections 4-6 address the projects slated for execution by year.  
    I’ve had conversations with the director at (BCNRMD) and in a short time it is clear that she is “totally on board” with IRL restoration - it’s her job.  

Months ago I posted my concern that data are lacking that are necessary to make sure the projects that are funded provide a decent ROI .  “Best available science/data” is the mantra of decision makers but the key word there is “available”.  Me thinks there are not enough data to make the best science based decisions.

Question:  how many water sampling stations are there in the Banana River between 520 and Pineda (Cocoa Beach/1000 islands)?  Zero, none.  How about north of 528, the NMZ, a seemingly suitable control area in that there is no development in that stretch of the BR. “0”
    (someone prove me wrong -please)

I intend to pose questions to our commisioners regarding upgrades to municipal municipal sewage treatment plants (STPs - read my last paragraph)
     Yesterday I attended the Save Our Lagoon Coalition meeting in Viera.  Good work being done there.  Next Friday is the Citizens Oversight Committe meeting.  It’s open to the public - ATTEND!  After becoming familiar with the 2018 project plan,  ask questions.  Take notes , learn who the players are.  If the answer to your question seems fuzzy, isn’t suitable, then do some research and ask again at the next meeting.

I won’t drone long on entropy as Newton has nailed it,  but just be reminded that things wear out, break, and capacities are exceeded, STPs for example.  Let’s ask our commisioners to elaborate on their efforts (commissioner, what are YOU doing to secure funds for STP upgrades such as bond referendums?).
    The 1/2% sales tax you say? No, No, those funds are targeted for IRL restoration.  Hands off, don’t touch.  You poop - you pay! but not with the 1/2% tax.

Out of time .
    With or without the lagoon, life is good, but with a restored lagoon it can be just a little better!
    adios

Thanks for fighting the good fight David. If only more citizens * FROM NEW MEXICO * were as concerned and engaged.....or a few more people who's action stops on a keyboard.  
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 650 Officer
    So based on all you experts... You want to keep taxing us to fund your BS theories? My kids and grandkids have already lost it, look around the state everyone is. You people are just milking it in it's death. Deal with the real issues. Development is out of control and sediment is a factor. These efforts are worthess other than pushing out the poor. If you people really wanted to change it you'd leave and go back to where ever you came from.
  • MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    C'mon Gatorhook...really? 
    Just another "Flo grown" with no answers other than Yankee go home...less than worthless. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Yep 4th Gen Flo Grown. Environment is stressed but we'll just keep building it out.
    Joe, about as worthless as your river reports. You have all the answers but no resolution. Makes me wonder who do you know making profit from the "cleanup"?
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Enjoy it while it lasts!  If you think your going to save anything with a 7.6 billion world population and growing, your high lol

We are the last people to know what the good ol days were like and what the ok days were like.....
    gatorhook said:
    Yep 4th Gen Flo Grown. Environment is stressed but we'll just keep building it out.
    Joe, about as worthless as your river reports. You have all the answers but no resolution. Makes me wonder who do you know making profit from the "cleanup"?
    You speak...as if you know me.....or at least you think you do...since you used my name.   
    As far as my river reports...you don't have to read them. I won't be offended...at all. 
    And as far as answers.... I know enough about the issues because I make the effort to know about it.

And what I said is on target.... Your answer is Yankee go home.... again, a non answer....totally worthless.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Nope Joe, I don't know you but you've personally addressed my opinion. I'm sure you can remember I don't read your river reports as you are quick to defend. I have been opposed from the beginning of the tax. You keep the same note supporting it but it's not helping anyone but the ones that are making the buck from the "cleanup and studies". All these efforts are meaningless at the current rate of development of our state. So we will just keep raising the cost of living here in Brevard?? Joe, you know it all. When we meet max buildout these things are not going to matter. The infrastructure can't handle it, nor the environment. Stroll down to South FL or Orlando, take a great look at what we have to look forward to. Now I'm going to shut up and fish, but the fish are not edible anymore!
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,565 Captain

I have to agree with gator. I grew up in Windermere when the population was around 600.

Enter Disney. In a few short years development turned the whole of central Fl into a zoo. Lakes and woods to hunt and fish turned into theme parks and urban explosions, like the Villages. I disowned it in 1980 after I got out of the Army and moved to C. Beach to get away.

Since then the permits to build all over the beaches, Merritt Island, Viera ( a real nitrogen supplier for those non-stop lovely yards ) and on and on seem to go with total disregard for the environment. All that revenue money and little if any ever went to fixing antiquated sewers etc.  But lets spend MORE money for MORE research. **** the toilet is broken and running over and all that's really being done is mopping the floor w/o fixing and stopping the source.

As long as politicians can see a way to pad their pockets nothing will change.