Is a 1996, 90 HP, 60 degree Evinrude a durable motor choice?

relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 544 Officer
I am looking to replace an older motor and want to bump up to younger but still easy to work on. It will be a motor that I can keep for many, many years and repair as needed without to much special equipment or trouble. I am looking at the mid to late 90's and 70-90HP. Found a 1996 60degree 90 HP Evinrude in really good shape, and I am wondering if anyone has any good or bad feedback on that model and year. It's $1800 and runs strong has 135-138 for compression.&nbsp;<br>I did a few searches and found very little said about it, and a little bit on Utube. It still has it's oil system working, I have mixed (Ha ha) thoughts about that. The oil container will just be one more thing to stuff somewhere in the back and break down.<br><span>Thanks for any feedback.</span>

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,465 Admiral
    My buddy has had his since 1996, still on his boat.  Still runs fine.    Never had carbs rebuilt or anything.    He swears by it. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 544 Officer
    Thanks, what little I have found sounds like it has a good reputation. 
    Best bet is to find a mechanic who's worked on them for a number of years.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • evernicevernic Posts: 750 Officer
    a 22 year old motor is a move UP...what are you replacing???
    2802 Trophy WA, 2x225Merc EFI's...sunk unamed storm 12-09looking for boat #10
    @evernic I believe he's looking for something he can also work on himself.    Those older motors with carbs can be rebuilt pretty cheaply, and you can do most of the maintenance and servicing yourself as well.    

• relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 544 Officer
    Well.. it's replacing at 1981 johnson. That was a great running motor until it developed a hole on the copper water tube from the pump. It's up just before a curve in the pipe and I thought about a sleeve repair but just need to move on. I would have to pull the motor off and then another part to get to the copper pipe from the top to replace. I've already broken one bolt when I replaced the head gasket a while ago. I am sure I'm breaking bolts to get to the pipe. It's been a good motor, and it really blows that I have to mothball it. Yes I want a motor that I can cheaply repair and keep many years. 
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 456 Deckhand
    Fresh maybe,salt good luck!