Home General Fishing

Inshore fishing residential docks tips?

ArsinekArsinek Posts: 64 Greenhorn
The ramp Ive been using is in an area with a good amount of docks. Its residential stuff, behind nice housrd on the intercoastal. Was thinking about trying to fishing them.

Looking for dock fishing advice, suggestions, tips, etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• fordmag84fordmag84 Bradenton, Fl Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Artificial I like to go freshwater, topwater frogs and jigs with a crawdad trailer. Artificial shrimp are always a good bet. Anything you can skip. 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,513 Captain
    Try skipping a paddle tail; I use DOA.  Also remember to respect the dock and the property, the owners will appreciate and it will make for a better day all around.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Go after dark and fish the edges of and shadows cast by the dock lights.

A freelined scaled sardine or live shrimp is my bait of choice.
  • ArsinekArsinek Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    My plan was to fish these docks at low tide after the water ran out of my favorite creek but turns out theres barely any water under the docks at that time so I didnt fish them.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited February 2018 #6
    Moving water is best, with the fall generally better than the rise....but it really depends on the dock and conditions.  Dead low is about the last time I'd be fishing.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,339 Admiral
    Moving water is best, with the fall generally better than the rise....but it really depends on the dock and conditions.  Dead low is about the last time I'd be fishing.
    agreed.  Dead low is when I like doing my boat travel time or re-tie leaders.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    Shrimp on a jig head and keep casting. 
  • ArsinekArsinek Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    kellercl said:
    agreed.  Dead low is when I like doing my boat travel time or re-tie leaders.
    I ended up sort of scouting around. Turns out there is a bridge not too far from my ramp. I kind of fished it right when the tide was low but not seriously. I didnt even tie up, just used my trolling motor and made some casts with live shrimp. Got some tiny bites and that was it.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 857 Officer
    Moving water, at night, with a live shrimp or a white/glow DOA shrimp. The fish will be under the docks, facing into the current. So cast upcurrent and let your bait flow naturally into the light, twitching it every now and then.