Where should my dealer put my chirp transducer on a redo/ can't get readings on plane

austjjaustjj Posts: 87 Greenhorn
I was told keep It as is why move if getting good readings at speeds 4.75 and lower, keep in same area but lower it so its in water when up on plane, move next to the small transducer starboard side. Garmin says not to put on put side. Appreciate you input

Replies

• squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
    transducer on left - it will never read,with the boat on plane.that 'ducer is mounted in the wrong place - it's out of the water,when the boat's on plane. whoever mounted that there,they should NEVER be allowed to pick up a tool - EVER ! mover that 'ducer straight down - mount is,so it's just about flush with the hull's bottom...
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,773 Admiral
    I agree with squid, plus, you also don't want it directly in front of the motor. Not sure why you have two transducers but the one on the right looks like it is mounted correctly, I would move the one on the left over to the left side of the motor and mount it just like the one on the right, assuming you need two transducers.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • austjjaustjj Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Surfman, the xducer to the right is and old bird gift from my wife. I am not sure it will work to left side, according to most the direction of the prop would cause problems. I am going to do more reading. Also will call Garmin again, in first call said to make sure area is not turbulent and put 1/8 inch below hull. I will either place it where the bird is now or drop it straight down and put 1/8 below the hull. I troll like to use the bird when doing so. I appreciate you input and hope to correct this when I return from Fla. I hope to leave for SC and then Fla early march. I can also going to see if I like it where located and just use at idle speeds. I have an HDS 5 with in hull transducer for higher speeds. 
    transducer on left - it will never read,with the boat on plane.that 'ducer is mounted in the wrong place - it's out of the water,when the boat's on plane. whoever mounted that there,they should NEVER be allowed to pick up a tool - EVER ! mover that 'ducer straight down - mount is,so it's just about flush with the hull's bottom...
    Believe it or not at least 6 have told me to keep it their, that's exactly where they have theirs located. They only use for drift fishing or trolling. Plus they feel it protected from damage. As far as the mechanic, I feel he should have called me to get my say on the matter. They deal with everyday and many fisherman as well. I bought my boat at that dealer ship and had trust they would do it right. The owner text me today and said bring it in, I have too much on my plate right now and feel this can wait for later date, when I have time to deal with this issue. Thanks for your input
    Yes, i have read that installing on the left side requires the ducer to be moved farther away from the prop due to the way they rotate and the turbulence caused. If you only care about it when idling then that is fine but I use mine on full plane and it is handy.
    Tight Lines, Steve

I am going to take off the old bird and move it, move the chirp to where the old bird was located. Then will get a in hull gt 8 or gt15 for my 840xs in the stern. I can use it for trolling and drifting and even use it when I have my bow mount down and fish in the stern. I am hoping to enjoy my two new Garmin units. The wife says that better than spending $25 $25k and my boat for a new one. I am looking to buy one more new boat, either Ranger 1880ms or Skeeter 1910 with 200 4 stroke Yamaha. It also has tandem trailer. The Ranger overpriced when you add $200 and tandem. With options other than what I mentioned they both go for about $48k
    If mounting inside the hull is an option, the old one will probably work fine glued to the bottom of the hull.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• swglennswglenn Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    To prevent putting additional holes in your boat get a Stern Saver Transducer Mount. I had to move my transducer 3 times to get it exactly right. This saved all those additional holes.

Thank you for the great advice. I am heading south and will run the boat with the transducer where its located. If I like what it does in the present location, if not, then I will do as you suggest. I was told just to drop it straight down and 1/8 inch below the transom, or take off old transducer and put it in that location since its really the best location.