FADs - Fish Aggregating Devices

bulldozerbulldozer Posts: 7 Greenhorn
Where are the laws/regs that control or prohibit them from use by recreational anglers?

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,232 Captain
    I put Christmas trees in my in-law's lake, one of the residents on the lake yelled at me as I was ferrying them out that she was going to call the environmentalist. I thought that was pretty funny. I just waved and smiled.

I am assuming you are talking about a public lake or in the Gulf or Bay, not a private lake? It could be considered illegal dumping and I don't think it is easy to get a permit to build a reef in the Gulf, for example. How much are you talking about dumping?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Its the artificial reef regulations. Unattended FAD is considered an illegal artificial reef.

Trick,
    Put them in Federal waters, and anchor them so they do not come to the surface. Keep good GPS location on it and go fishing!
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,232 Captain
    That's what I was thinking too.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • bulldozerbulldozer Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the input.  I had found the artificial reef regs for the State of Florida, and had wondered if they would apply to FADS, but I think of a FAD (floating at or near the surface) as different from a reef (solid objects/materials sitting on the bottom).  I am sure they just apply them to anything placed in the water (surface or bottom). 

The one that I was thinking of would be off the FL Keys, and would have been in Federal waters anyways, perhaps beyond the 12nm international water line, as I would want it out in the Gulf Stream attracting BFT and Dolphin.  I have seen that the U.S. still maintains some jurisdiction out to 200nm for something called the EEZ, but I'm not sure how that works. 

Thanks Ron, I was planning on putting mine 75' below surface if I build it at all, due to concern about the draft of large vessels out that far.   
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,661 Captain
    Putting a FAD in 1000 + feet of water with a strong current would be a major undertaking and expense. Not sure if it would be feasible.  JMO.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• bulldozerbulldozer Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the input.  I had found the artificial reef regs for the State of Florida, and had wondered if they would apply to FADS, but I think of a FAD (floating at or near the surface) as different from a reef (solid objects/materials sitting on the bottom).  I am sure they just apply them to anything placed in the water (surface or bottom). 

The one that I was thinking of would be off the FL Keys, and would have been in Federal waters anyways, perhaps beyond the 12nm international water line, as I would want it out in the Gulf Stream attracting BFT and Dolphin.  I have seen that the U.S. still maintains some jurisdiction out to 200nm for something called the EEZ, but I'm not sure how that works. 

Thanks Ron, I was planning on putting mine 75' below surface if I build it at all, due to concern about the draft of large vessels out that far.   
  • When you design your FAD, use a PVC frame with a piece of screen cloth of similar to make a wing. You want it to fly in the current so think of it as a PVC kite. Us an anchor with chain to anchor it and keep it about 40' to 50' below the surface. You will have little chance of a ship hitting it.

Think low drag but kite shaped. you can add buoys for flotation if needed but not too much for your anchor to hold. 

If it works like our did, it will last 3-5 months and every time you troll over it, you will get hits. The catching is up to you!