Home General Fishing

Noob: Casting plastics from shore

vaindiouxvaindioux Posts: 8 Deckhand

Hi

I know how to fish but am challenged a little when it comes to cast soft baits. I have amassed quite a collection of soft baits. Shrimps, crabs, minnows, squids and more.

I will be fishing from the beach in the Fort-Myers area. Can anyone offer tips like what size jigs I should use.1/4oz,1/8oz,1/2oz? Do I cast plastic minnows,squids and retrieve fast? Or shall I work shrimps and crabs slow on the bottom?

Are roundhead jigheads ok or do I need stand up jigs or else?

Don't feel you have to answer everything, if you know one thing that's enough.

Last but not least I don't use live baits and release all that I catch.

Thxs

Pat

Replies

• fordmag84fordmag84 Bradenton, Fl Posts: 89 Greenhorn
     Experiment, find what works for you. You want to keep your bait right above the grass, so depending on depth change the weight. I like a 1/16 oz jig head the best, I fish water that is usually 4' or less. DOA soft plastics doesn't float the same as zman. Some people like to bounce jigs of the bottom, that's fine on sand and mud, but you will do nothing but catch grass on the flats. Try paddletails, and jerk bait profiles. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Along the beach, I'd be using the lightest weight jig I could comfortably cast given the conditions.

Fish jigs that mimic baitfish or minnows them with an erratic jerking motion, allowing them to fall back to the bottom between every few jerks.  Fish shrimp much slower with an occasional jerk.

You might also try an unweighted jerkbait, like something you'd use for bass.  They can be very effective as well.

Good luck...Mike
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Along the beach, I'd be using the lightest weight jig I could comfortably cast given the conditions.

Fish jigs that mimic baitfish or minnows them with an erratic jerking motion, allowing them to fall back to the bottom between every few jerks.  Fish shrimp much slower with an occasional jerk.

You might also try an unweighted jerkbait, like something you'd use for bass.  They can be very effective as well.

Good luck...Mike