Best lures for Marlin / Wahoo / Mahi / Tuna

GigUmGigUm Posts: 63 Greenhorn
What works best for you? Getting into the offshore trolling

Replies

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,207 Officer
    Wahoo-marauders black and purple and black and orange and trolling feathers 4-7". Marlin-clear plastic heads and long soft plastic skirts 8-14". Mahi and tuna-tuna feathers, cedar plugs and deep diving rapala type lures.
  • RJMurphy4142RJMurphy4142 Posts: 110 Deckhand
    Mahi - Naked ballyhoo, ballyhoo with blue white sea witch, ballyhoo with blue white islander, ballyhoo with green yellow islander, ballyhoo with pink white islander
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,979 Admiral
    Given the choice I will take naked ballyhoo, size depends on local bait size.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 684 Officer
    Pink and white, green and blue Islanders. I usually like to have some kind of bait in there, either skirt a ballyhoo or something along those lines. Naked ballyhoo are cool too, but I like the flash of color in a choppy sea to help grab some attention.
    mikenav wrote: »
    Pink and white, green and blue Islanders. I usually like to have some kind of bait in there, either skirt a ballyhoo or something along those lines. Naked ballyhoo are cool too, but I like the flash of color in a choppy sea to help grab some attention.

Your boat does that
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,283 Moderator
    Marlin - Pink /White or Purple Black Moldcraft Wide range and a Blue/White Islander over a horse ballyhoo
    Dolphin - Pink White Stubby Bubbler, Pink Pearl Billy Bait Mini Turbo Slammer, Blue White Saillure over a medium ballyhoo
    Wahoo - Dark colors - Black, Blue Purple Red with a trolling weight in front of it or a Yozuri bonita
    Tuna (Blackfin) Black/Purple Rattlejet
  • GigUmGigUm Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Thank y’all, have any pics of what y’all have caught with those?
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 553 Officer
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,489 Officer
    Small rattle jet green with silver mylar tuna
    and Mahi tear them up.
  • Matt1340Matt1340 Posts: 122 Deckhand
    For mani i typically troll a spread of 4-6 lines. 2 of my lines will have a ballyhoo with a blue and white or pink and white islander on them. Other lines i typically troll a 2 small rattle jets normally blue and silver or pink and white, a chugger, and then a feather.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    Tuna - feathers & cedar plugs
    Mahi - anything really, but noisy things, like chuggers or something behind a bird, would be my first choice.
    Wahoo - something big & fast with a big hook on wire, usually in a dark color
    Marlin - If you have to ask, you are probably not ready to be going after marlin.

That's lures. If you want to talk live bait or dead bait, that is another story.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 610 Officer
    Do you guys troll the rattle jets plain or with meat??
    we need more internet money
    Here is my thinking on trolling for with lures versus bait, if you toss a ball to a dog he will play with it , if you throw him a meat ball he might never taste it as he swallows it,
    Learn how to rig bait
    Just saying
  • nickmonickmo Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Here is my thinking on trolling for with lures versus bait, if you toss a ball to a dog he will play with it , if you throw him a meat ball he might never taste it as he swallows it,
    Learn how to rig bait
    Just saying

ROLFMAO Gotta remember that one. :thumbsup
  • GigUmGigUm Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Learn how to rig bait
    Just saying

Fair enough lol
  • pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 602 Officer
    Marlin ..
    Moldcraft wide range and super chugger
    Black Bart 1656 slant and flat
    Have been using a few Hawaiian made lures as well .

Pink/white , blue/white , mahi colors , etc

Tuna and Mahi will eat those as well
    RllmHU0.jpg
    bi234gY.jpg
    3WBjxds.jpg
    l3G9liZ.jpg
    KtQ0xn6.jpg
  • jordinejordine flPosts: 36 Greenhorn
    For Marlins, I lke using Blue White islander or Baby Ruckus.
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 288 Deckhand
    Any good lure will work for marlin if you are in a area where there are marlin.  I bet you could troll an old shoe over the seamounts west of Costa Rica and get a marlin to hit it.  But off S. Florida, even the best spread of marlin lures isn't likely to work since there are too few around.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,618 Captain
    Learn how to rig bait
    Just saying
    That is very true!
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you