Looking for a chart

MoonsfoolMoonsfool Posts: 11 Greenhorn
Is there a book with info about cruising from Florida to Caribbean islands? For example point to point distances, and best rout. Marinas availability, etc…
Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

Replies

• FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 371 Moderator
    Yachtsman's Guide To the Bahamas is pretty neat and they update it annually. http://www.yachtsmansguide.com/
    And I see they have a Virgin Islands book, as well.
    Jeff Weakley
  • C Skip RC Skip R Posts: 124 Deckhand
    Steve Dodge has several guides on the Abaco, Exumas and other islands. They are very good. You can google and find them at most marine or book stores.
  • The Caribbean islands is a broad term. The abaco book is great but you need to define where you plan on going to make sure you get what you are looking for.
  • MoonsfoolMoonsfool Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    The Caribbean islands is a broad term. The abaco book is great but you need to define where you plan on going to make sure you get what you are looking for.
    Thank You All.
    The plan is to leave let’s say Ft. Lauderdale, go through the Bahamas and reach let’s say DR.
    I am looking for GPS number of points in the Bahamas that when I reach there, there is a gas station to refill. The boat range is approximately 300 miles.
    The plan B is going south to the Keys and from there reach Cuban coast, again with GPS numbers of points with marinas and gas stations, and go along the island to reach Hispaniola. Off course, I prefer this one. But I am not sure about the politics.
  • ComandanteComandante Posts: 270 Deckhand
    I belive you want to get copies of the "British Admiraltty Charts" for your intended route. Along with those (plural), you will need a copy of the sailing directions also published for your area of interet by the Brits. The saling directions are similar to the USA coast pilot and give port of call info as to fuel and services available. The Admiralty charts are exactly what you need to plot your trackline. With a 300 NM fuel restriction, I think your plan B is out of the question. Although there is a major shipping route through Nicholas channel and old Bahama channel accross the north face of Cuba, you will probably run out of fuel long before you reach an inhabited island in the southern Bahama bank. If you went the plan B route, your last fuel stop would be either Marathon Fl or Key West Fl. Your next likely opportunity is in the extreme southern Bahams just to the north of Haiti. The shipping route north of Cuba is ok from a political perspective as you say. It is routinely patrolled by Bahamian authorities and is transited by a goodly number of ships coming and going. Last fall I made ship delivery between New Orleans and Rio De Janeiro using your plan B route north of Cuba. During the transit, I met and had radio chatter with several large USA sportfishing vessels that were returning home to the USA. Even with their large fuel capacities, they all were stoppng for a fuel splash before crossing across Haiti and Cuba. In addition, the Northwest passage between Cuba and Haiti gets as rough as you'll ever want to see it. Bottom line, I suggest you plot your track down through the inhabited Islands in the Bahamas and then jump across from the Turks and Caicos. If you need more info, PM me. I'll be back on my ship beginning about Thanksgiving and I can look up some Admiralty Chart and Sailing direction info for you. I can also do a planning trackilne workup for you using my ship's chartplotter so that you can get an idea of port to port distances for fuel planning.
  • MoonsfoolMoonsfool Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Comandante,
    PM sent. Your information is very valuable for all readers.
    Thank you.

I found what I needed here:
    http://www.worldportsource.com/ports/BHS.php