Another shooting, this time in Broward

HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,997 Captain

Live on all news stations now... Too bad the whole school wasn't locked and loaded to prevent this unfortunate tragedy.

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 26,439 AG

@Heatwave said:
    Live on all news stations now... Too bad the whole school wasn't locked and loaded to prevent this unfortunate tragedy.

Explain how that works.

Vote for the other candidate
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 737 Officer

the world has changed beyond repair

• My wife got a phone call from a coworkers son. He was locked in the bathroom and was hearing shots fired. A few minutes later she gets a call from the coworkers wife. She was locked in a bathroom at the elementary school next to the high school.

Scary day, but for that family everyone is coming home tonight.

Prayers for those families who will not see someone coming home....

So they have the shooter and he is on way to hospital. Can you imagine being in the ER with a wounded family member and have that scum come in on a stretcher next to your loved one??

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,803 Captain

Prayers sent for those injured, the deceased and their families.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,390 Admiral

Tragic...
    Parents , Talk to your kids and Gun Safes don't cost all that much either.

Killin and Grillin :grin
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,867 Captain

A question, please:
    How many teachers are in that school?
    Take 10% of these teachers, those who are level-headed and not off in LaLa Land, give them BASIC training in firearms handling and safety, arm them with instructions to ALWAYS have their pistol, concealed but ready to DEFEND the situation. A defense scenario may develop requiring a teacher to react instantly and responsibly. She/he, if properly trained, will be able to quickly--subconsciously--respond and probably save innocent lives of children. Tell me why I'm wrong in thinking that about 10% of our teachers should not be trained and armed throughout the school day!

• RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,290 Officer

How do you identify level headed. Aren’t our teachers supposed to be level headed?
    How did you pick 10%. Why not 50% if you want the schools to be really safe.
    I assume all teachers had background checks that allow them to carry if they wanted to. Just allow them to carry in schools if they choose
    Teachers that properly trained react instantly and subconsciously .........like military or secret service or FBI.......
    .....forget teaching.......
    I am a teacher and want to teach ......not play soldier, be ready for combat, practice shooting from under desks and tables.
    Hire the appropriate people to do that

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,671 Admiral

@woodsrunner said:
    A question, please:
    Take 10% of these teachers, those who are level-headed and not off in LaLa Land, give them BASIC training in firearms handling and safety, arm them with instructions to ALWAYS have their pistol, concealed but ready to DEFEND the situation. A defense scenario may develop requiring a teacher to react instantly and responsibly. She/he, if properly trained, will be able to quickly--subconsciously--respond and probably save innocent lives of children. Tell me why I'm wrong in thinking that about 10% of our teachers should not be trained and armed throughout the school day!

So our teachers that we do not pay enough must now protect and serve as well as teach

• Gary SGary S Posts: 770 Officer

@Turner River Terror said:
    Tragic...
    Parents , Talk to your kids and Gun Safes don't cost all that much either.

His gun was in a safe, family he was living with didn't know he had a key.

• pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,190 Captain

@dragon bait said:

@woodsrunner said:
    A question, please:

So our teachers that we do not pay enough must now protect and serve as well as teach

Many of them don't need training, and would welcome the chance to be armed

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,572 Admiral

I know a teacher here who is a former Army Ranger.

2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • LODI QUACKERLODI QUACKER Posts: 149 Deckhand

@dragon bait said:

@woodsrunner said:
    A question, please:

They also get to "protect" themselves. Gun free zones just work so dang well.

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    edited February 15 #14

I guess easily available semi-automatic weapons with high-capacity magazines is working just fine!

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,506 Captain
    edited February 15 #15

@woodsrunner said:
    A question, please:

Arguably you are volunteering somebody for a position that requires a great deal of responsibility... does it really seem fair for you to volunteer others for potentially deadly job requirements?

Not too mention the school yesterday had an armed guard.. . it still happened. Columbine had multiple armed guards, it still happened. The Texas Church had a good guy with a gun, it still happened. Your solution isn't prevention. Treating the symptom isn't a cure.

• dave44dave44 Posts: 7,039 Admiral

I heard that an UNARMED teacher chose the deadly job of trying to protect students. I would say some are willing. Saying they aren’t going to try, even in self defense is nonsensical.
    That guy is a hero for trying.everyone should respect that.

@dave44 said:
    I heard that an UNARMED teacher chose the deadly job of trying to protect students. I would say some are willing. Saying they aren’t going to try, even in self defense is nonsensical.
    That guy is a hero for trying.everyone should respect that.

"Chose" being the imperative verbiage. Mandating and allowing a choice are drastically different.

Is someone saying we should require people to defend themselves or others? Why? Plenty of people have that in their hearts already without making sheep defend themselves.

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,017 Admiral

What do you think the percentage of acceptors would be if you asked the entire faculty and administration of that school if they would like to take a concealed carry class after this tragedy?

@dave44 said:
    Is someone saying we should require people to defend themselves or others? Why? Plenty of people have that in their hearts already without making sheep defend themselves.

That is how I read Wood's post. He seemed to think 10% of the school should be armed regardless of their thoughts.

edited February 16 #21

@Resinhead said:
    What do you think the percentage of acceptors would be if you asked the entire faculty and administration of that school if they would like to take a concealed carry class after this tragedy?

No idea. How many of those kids do you think are in favor of gun laws?

@kellercl said:

@Resinhead said:

No idea. How many of the kids do you think are in favor of gun legislation?

That is scary! Asking a kid what they think about anything, it would be even worse if we actually implemented their thoughts.
    Students are simply parrots of their teaching, they may think they are free thinkers, but they are unknowing recipients of indoctrination. Many will not be able to overcome this until their 30s, and some never do.

edited February 16 #24

@dave44 said:

That is scary! Asking a kid what they think about anything, it would be even worse if we actually implemented their thoughts.
    Students are simply parrots of their teaching, they may think they are free thinkers, but they are unknowing recipients of indoctrination. Many will not be able to overcome this until their 30s, and some never do.

Fair enough. We can ask the 18 year old legal adult students. I wonder what they think of gun laws? I wonder what the parents of the victims think? Or are we only allowed to consider the thoughts of those who agree with you?

@kellercl said:

@dave44 said:

No idea. How many of the kids

Fair enough. We can ask the 18 year old legal adult students. I wonder what they think of gun laws? I wonder what the parents of the victims think? Or are we only allowed to consider the thoughts of those who agree with you?

I’m sure you advocate these 18 year olds should be able to drink alchohol? The rest of the post is gibberish.

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    edited February 16 #26

@Resinhead said:

I think the % would be lower than those supporting heavier regulations on firearms.

@dave44 said:

@kellercl said:

@dave44 said:

No idea. How many of the kids

I’m sure you advocate these 18 year olds should be able to drink alchohol? The rest of the post is gibberish.

Lol. That is an interesting point. An 18 year old can't buy a Bud Light, but he can buy an AR-15.. and yet our gun laws are perfectly fine.... hmmm.. really now?

Oh, and I'd wager a good number of the school's admistration/staff are probably in favor of gun laws as well. I'm not sure why you are under the belief that school teachers are good with being asked to play Rambo.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,390 Admiral

These Kids are future Voters, and None of them ever shot Rabbits with Grandpaw...just sayin.

Killin and Grillin :grin

Lol. That is an interesting point. An 18 year old can't buy a Bud Light, but he can buy an AR-15.. and yet our gun laws are perfectly fine.... hmmm.. really now?

Oh, and I'd wager a good number of the school's admistration/staff are probably in favor of gun laws as well. I'm not sure why you are under the belief that school teachers are good with being asked to play Rambo.

I’m not interested in asking any teacher to play Rambo. I would like it if we didn’t infringe their right to self defense?
    Most teachers these days are products of the indoctrination I spoke of soooo. I once knew a high school math teacher that swore to me the rover landing was a conspiracy and man never left the earth.

edited February 16 #30

@Turner River Terror said:
    These Kids are future Voters, and None of them ever shot Rabbits with Grandpaw...just sayin.

Just curious, because I honestly can't tell, but do you believe future generations are going to look at guns completely different than today's generation? I honestly hold that belief, given not only the increasing gun violence but also because their lack of exposure. I think once the baby boomer generation starts departing, gun laws and legal marijuana will pass through legislation. I would be surprised if in say 30 years, there is even remotely as much opposition to gun laws as there is today.

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,017 Admiral
    edited February 16 #31

@kellercl said:

@Resinhead said:

No idea. How many of those kids do you think are in favor of gun laws?

Not sure about that school but if you asked the students at my son's high school I think you'd be surprised. We've taken over 20 of his friends shooting and hunting. Not all at one time. Once word spread he has had kids asking him all the time if they can go next time.

And my question was about faculty and administration.

Stay focused