ochlocknee reds

A couple of weeks ago I put in at the state park and picked a few redfish up off of live shrimp in the main river. I don't fish the area that often and I am thinking about going again this weekend. My question is how will 5+" of rain 80 miles inland effect the fish. If the water is muddy and high am I wasting my time. I plan to be there during a rising tide. I don't know how much rain they got there lately. Any info would be appreciated before I drive 2 hours down there and get skunked.

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,157 Captain

Not only was there a bunch of recent rain, but it’s warmed up. I bet those fish are in the mouth by now. Good luck

You should have been here yesterday
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,316 Captain

It was on fire last week. My sister and a friend fished from the mouth to the 98 bridge. Sheeps, reds and trout. The rain will mess it up. And if you are hungry afterwards and have fish, clean some and tropical trader will cook them for you.

• dblazerdblazer Posts: 26 Greenhorn

I'll take all comments that are going to stem from this but I have to ask. Mouth of what? where the ochlockonee bay dumps into the gulf or where the ochlockonee river dumps into the bay? Will the St. Mark area be effected as much by the rain up north as the ochlockonee? I called Sheilds marina and they said the water was crystal clear right now. I plan on calling friday for an update unless someone on here lives close by and can verify for me. Thanks for the replies.

Trout069- are you saying the rain will mess up the river fishing or all river and bay fishing in general?

• trout069trout069 Posts: 4,316 Captain

where the bay and gulf meet.

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,017 Admiral

If the dirty water isnt here yet, it will be soon.

Put in at Shields and fished St. Marks for the first time. Fished across from east river just off the main channel and caught 15-18 trout and one puffer. I did squeeze out 5 keepers with 19" being the biggest. Fog rolled in THICK about 1:00. Wanted to go to the rock gardens but ran out of time.

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,977 Captain
    edited February 19 #9

^^ That's a killer day! ^^

God, save the South!
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,125 Captain

@dblazer said:
    Put in at Shields and fished St. Marks for the first time. Fished across from east river just off the main channel and caught 15-18 trout and one puffer. I did squeeze out 5 keepers with 19" being the biggest. Fog rolled in THICK about 1:00. Wanted to go to the rock gardens but ran out of time.

You didn't miss anything around the rock gardens. We fished over there from about 12-3 and caught a few short trout and one keeper. Managed to lose another on a plug, somehow...