Anyone getting Mahi out of Ft Pierce inlet

I was wondering if anyone has had any recent luck with Mahi out of Ft Pierce. I was out yesterday and didn't get a thing, I couldn't find any water over 73.5 and went out to 275' (over 20 miles and NOAA had the stream at 18). I hadn't been out since mid-Dec when I was coming in with 5-6 Mahi each trip. Just wondering if it was a bad day or if its just that time of the year.

Replies

• flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 112 Deckhand

I haven’t been into the fins since end of December out of FP. How were the seas ?

• GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 388 Deckhand

It was rough on Tuesday....we definitely got wet on the way out.

• Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,383 Captain

We got a double of small gaffers off Stuart Sunday in 185', but those were the only dolphins I heard of all day on the VHF. Super slow day of fishing overall. Never raised a sail.

72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • hatcityhatcity Posts: 2,910 Captain

@Garysmo said:
    It was rough on Tuesday....we definitely got wet on the way out.

yep-was supposed to be 2' at 9 seconds...more like 3 at 5...and a few 4's or 5's

I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice

The weather for this upcoming week is not looking too good either. Hopefully these cold fronts will stop and we can get some calm seas.

• hatcityhatcity Posts: 2,910 Captain

April

I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice

@hatcity said:
    April

Yeah that is my thinking also............

• tijeretatijereta Posts: 208 Deckhand

April is a good month but wind is usually a problem .

• P91473P91473 Posts: 48 Greenhorn

I heard they are out there now in 120-250ft a little to the south, but it’s hit or miss and you have to have a decent size boat for the swell and wind we are getting until late April...

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,006 Officer

@Garysmo said:
    The weather for this upcoming week is not looking too good either. Hopefully these cold fronts will stop and we can get some calm seas.

Tom morrow (thursday) is looking possible. There will be swells, but ten seconds apart with no wind. We are going to run south off Stewart and troll back north if we find a weedline or killer rip.

I'm thinking about it as well. Today was a bust. Ended up fishing the inlet but didn't catch much. It was just too rough to get out. Fingers are crossed for tomorrow. Good luck.......

• MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 609 Officer

not FPI, this was north out of Jupiter by the loran tower on Friday in about 190 feet. It was a slow day otherwise, she was by herself and fought about 100 remoras to get to the goggle eye.

Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...

Nice fish.....I'm having withdrawals. Hopefully soon. :)

I made it out today. It was a beautiful day but the fishing wasn't great. We went out to 300+ and the water temp was 77.5 but didn't catch anything. Say a ton of feed fish and some big stuff chasing them but only had one hit. Got it on the way back in around 150ft and it went through my wire leader like nothing. Must have been a nice fish but I'll never know. How did everyone else do??????

We went south and tried to find bait at 12A but it was pretty empty except for a couple blue runners. Headed out deeper dropping on a couple wrecks on the way to 300 feet. No weedlines or other sign worth waisting time on so we ran into 90 feet and bottom fished. Ended up with a good mix but nothing grande to brag about.

We made it out today and had a great day. We boated 6 Mahi; lost a 7th one right next to the boat, overall a pretty good day. It was nice to catch some fish instead of going for a long boat ride. Time to have some rum and enjoy the fresh Mahi. Did anyone else get out today?

How deep Gary?

I got them all between 160-190. I went out to 240 but didn't get anything out there. The strange thing there was no weeds, no rip, no birds yet there were fish. I guess that is what makes it fun, it's always changing

We went out today and got nothing....I tried a bunch of different depths and locations but couldn't find a thing. Did anyone get out today and have better luck?

Went to the Miami boat show. A friend went out and got Mahi. Not 100% where yet. Going Sunday.

• Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 990 Officer

Went out yesterday, Very slow, 1 sail came in and picked Spanish Macs at the cove.

Went back out today and got 2 Mahi.....it was a beautiful day but the fishing was slow. Got one at 250 and one at 190.

• Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 990 Officer

Heard fish are south. May head to Pushbutton on Monday if I can dig up a crew

@Osprey45 said:
    Heard fish are south. May head to Pushbutton on Monday if I can dig up a crew

Good luck....Interested to hear how you do.

Fished 80-350 today, (Sunday, 18th). Had a sail on in 290 for all of 10 seconds. That was it. Neighbor got 1 fin for his efforts. After trolling for 3 hours hit some bottom spots for snapper. Can’t beat the weather. Lots of boats out today.

@P91473 said:
    Fished 80-350 today, (Sunday, 18th). Had a sail on in 290 for all of 10 seconds. That was it. Neighbor got 1 fin for his efforts. After trolling for 3 hours hit some bottom spots for snapper. Can’t beat the weather. Lots of boats out today.

What did the sail hit? Did you at least get a good look at him?

Very good look. He exploded on my port short Ballyhoo. I was looking right in the spread when he came up and took the hoo. Line was screaming for 10 seconds, then nothing. No line break, just spit the hook. Thought we had him for sure.

Fished all day out of sli yesterday. Beautiful flat water. Made the long run out to 28 miles looking for weedlines or anything fishy and found nothing but 100s of Valentine's Day balloons. Trolled, live bait, bottom fished wrecks, didn't manage to put any meat in the cooler. Could have mistaken it for mid August without the sweltering heat.

Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...

@MakoLogic said:
    Fished all day out of sli yesterday. Beautiful flat water. Made the long run out to 28 miles looking for weedlines or anything fishy and found nothing but 100s of Valentine's Day balloons. Trolled, live bait, bottom fished wrecks, didn't manage to put any meat in the cooler. Could have mistaken it for mid August without the sweltering heat.

Yeah there were tons of balloons. I was going to pick some up for next year :) . For a while I thought I was skiing a slalom course again. Looking at the winds for this week it looks like we might be grounded for a while.

in case anyone was wondering, thats what it looked like 28 miles out...unbelievable for Feb... Fish seem to hate flat water lol.

www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...