Longlines AGAIN!!!

OK, our buddy Dave Kerstetter who was prohibited from working the Exempt Fishery permit off the East Coast has gone for it again.

After NSU president prohibited Dave from fishing the permit he formed : Florida Fisheries Solution LLC to fish without the backing of NSU who realized there was no science involved, just Dave's BS. My guess is he better hope it works and make money because his term at NSU is bout to end!!

Write him a letter and tell him what you think of his plan to decimate recreational fisheries in a closed zone for the least compatible type of fishing in the world!

Registered Agent Name & Address
KERSTETTER, DAVID W
11720 BERRY DRIVE
COOPER CITY, FL 33026

And write to the head of NMFS and tell them its time to remove Margo Shulze Haugen from her position as she has no respect for recreational fishing economic impact.

Margo is simply trying to save an industry she is putting out of business, the Pelagic Longline Fleet.

ITS TIME FOR MARGO TO GO!!!!!!

Replies

• Dave's contact,

Sent him a note: [email protected]
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,941 Captain
    As long as there's money to be made - destructive commercial gear will keep coming back unless we're vigilant and keep it from happening...

That goes for every sector whether it's long-lining, fish trapping - or inshore netting... It's a fight our kids (and their kids) will be facing as long as that money incentive is there. Thank heavens we've been winning most of the fights these past 25 years. I can remember when we lost every one of those fights and watched fishery after fishery go into decline and collapse...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,580 Captain
    Hey Ron
    Didn't the head of NMFS approve the prior attempt?
    Tom
  • Head of HMS did and I suspect this new notice will be fast tracked.

Honestly the "science" from his last attempt is laughable.

This is opposed by FWCC, and Governor Scott. It was dropped by the higher ups at NSU and of course every other national marine fisheries group has opposed it, TBF, RFA, CCA, IGFA, the list goes on.

Also it was clearly opposed in writing at at a meeting of the SAFMC.

This is the continuation of a promise by Scott Taylor of Day Boats, LLC to open the EFC closed zone for his boats.

Three years with 6 boats, millions of hooks in three years of 720 set per year.

And everyone knows we will see the same old 5 dead juveniles for each legal rat they catch, plus negative interaction with Dusky sharks, marlin, sailfish, etc.
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,580 Captain
    I guess this will tell us if Chris Oliver is truly for recreational interests and not just the commercial lobby that got him appointed.
  • Funny stuff, just received an email from Scott threatening to sue me for slander.

I'm pretty sure I could raise as much money as need for a defense from the fishing community or better, pro bono representation from a sportfishing lawyer.

( Funny someone does not know the difference between liable and slander and stating an opinion )
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 261 Deckhand
    I don't believe the swordfish population ever full recovered from the first wave of overfishing in the 70s-early 80s. Just to put things into perspective, my dad got 79 swords up to 400lbs dressed in four consecutive nights in April 1976, using only 100 hooks and no lightsticks whatsoever. They also had an equal number of Cuban Night Sharks which were released. By 1983 it was all over. The swords were making a comeback when the fishery picked up again in the 2000s, but if you recall the size at night was small by 1970s standards. This to me is proof that the majority of the fish off here were juveniles that were spawned after the longlines stopped operating. Even without longlines, the new recreational effort and limited buoy gear, with much increase in technology, was enough to stunt the nighttime fishery, and the only remaining fishery is the daytime effort which didn't exist in the 70s, so we can't use for comparison. My point is this - we've witnessed the swordfish population plummet twice due to fishing pressure, which means this area cannot sustain even a limited commercial effort. Take it from a former longliner, you do not want longlines returning to south Florida.
  • Very good news coming out of HMS these days.

First, this new attempt by Dave Kerstetter and his new venture Florid Fishing Solutions, LLC. WILL NOT HAPPEN!

HMS will be reviewing the entire EFP process and looking at other options on how closed zones should be studied.

So, thankfully it seems the new business venture by Dave Kerstetter was a waste of his time.

Looks like we won round 2!

The new presentation on what HMS is looking at will take place at the HMS AP meeting in DC in early March.

• GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 431 Deckhand

That is great news.......