RHODAN GPS anchor arrived.

larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,519 Moderator
I placed an order months ago to be used on our offshore we runs. With some of our good spots in 65 to 100 plus feet multiple anchor drops can be a real chore. Current an wave direction change all day. Well the unit i got is the 72 inch 80 LB thrust 24 volt. I am in the process of getting the bow ready for the install, plugging hard ware holes, stainless railing section has to be cut out, battery location Etc. it is a work in progress. The boat is a 20ft CC offshore style boat. I will post some pictures as the work progresses.

larrywitt

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,409 Moderator
    Man will that be a blessing when it's done. A luxury for sure.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,519 Moderator
    You are right on there, my crews are getting older wait, they started old. LOL
    larrywitt
    Here is the RHODAN mounted we had to cut out a section of the stainless steel bow railing. Hope to finish it this week then give it a real world test.

Larrywitt
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 454 Deckhand
    I think you're going to love it! So good they are made in FL too. I've had one for a year now and I'm completely satisfied. Way more HD than the other two brands.

I would unplug it when you are not using it or open the breaker (unless you leave on a trickle charger) because it will draw down your batteries between trips, which I found out the hard way...
    finbully wrote: »
    I think you're going to love it! So good they are made in FL too. I've had one for a year now and I'm completely satisfied. Way more HD than the other two brands.

I would unplug it when you are not using it or open the breaker (unless you leave on a trickle charger) because it will draw down your batteries between trips, which I found out the hard way...

Thanks for your first hand report and advice.
    larrywitt
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,067 Officer
    Alright! Let's go sheepshead fishing! Yep! I'm not the anchore man, Rodan is
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • sterlingxs22sterlingxs22 Posts: 158 Officer
    Your gonna love that TM !!!!!
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    Tho I have a windlass anchoring is the # one PITA about fishing,Enjoy..
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • Knot LeftKnot Left Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Motor works great but plastic is not UV resistant. My neighbor's turned yellow after about a year or so.
    Knot Left wrote: »
    Motor works great but plastic is not UV resistant. My neighbor's turned yellow after about a year or so.

Thats interesting. I have not launched the boat yet, this weather is not for me for long runs. Too cold and windy. I may have to apply a good coat of wax now and again.
    larrywitt
  • Knot LeftKnot Left Posts: 72 Greenhorn

I think that will not help much other than to make it shiny yellow. Maybe it will though. After it turns yellow, really all you can do is take the plastic off and get some white glossy spray paint or spend $100 for new ones. Why they make the product with that crap plastic without any UV protection built in is trouble. The motor has some really good points but also a couple a major flaws that they seem to leave in place every year. The bad plastic they use which wont hold up to sun long and the plastic release mount/launch which gets very sticky quickly making the unit hard to launch. I think the plastic is too cheap as well as the mount. Lots of WD40 is needed to keep it from sticking.

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,232 Captain

Cool!

Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 477 Deckhand

We had a gent fishing offshore near us last year with one of the gps guided units- we had slight wave action- maybe 1.5 to 2' - his prop kept coming out of the water as he bobbed up and down- making a lot of noise and fuss-
    We caught fish- he did not.

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain

There is a product called 303 that is to protect plastic from uv rays. Bought some for my kayak and skirts. Not sure if it works, but it’s supposed to. Probably worth a try, it’s pretty cheap

You should have been here yesterday
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 454 Deckhand

@Circle-Hook said:
    We had a gent fishing offshore near us last year with one of the gps guided units- we had slight wave action- maybe 1.5 to 2' - his prop kept coming out of the water as he bobbed up and down- making a lot of noise and fuss-
    We caught fish- he did not.

That's a function of adjusting the prop depth to the sea state - not a problem with the motor itself.

Neat you caught fish though...

Well i finally had a chance to test the RHODAN offshore. I had to cut/ modify my stainless steel bow rail twice to get to this point. I chose the 72 inch shaft so even with high free board it would be 24 to 30 inches below the surface of the water. First step was to do a procedure to align the RHODAN with the center line of the boat. It did a few moves then stopped dead center. We were about 11 or 12 miles offshore. we moved around till we found a good show of live bottom. Then I hit the anchor mode button. The motor started and it was interesting to see it steer us around until it was right over the show of fish above the live bottom. It had us facing the bow directly into the waves. It never moved off the spot. We did this on a few spots to test the anchor function. The seas were only 1 to 2 But with motor close to 30 inches below the water the seas would have to be over 4 foot for it ever to pop out of the water. At that point we would not want to be fishing anyway. Looking forward to real offshore run to 25 to 30 miles on a grouper ,snapper trip.
    larrywitt