New motor?

tunamantunaman Posts: 3,714 Captain

06 Yammy 90 2 stroke. Runs like new but needs lower unit. Trying to decide wether new lower, used lower, rebuilt lower or New Motor. I hear about others finding unrealistic deals on hold over new motors and rebuilt lowers. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,658 Captain

Kinda depends on what you want to put it on and where you fish. New 4 stroke will burn much less fuel, quieter, less odor, etc. On the other hand, heavier than the 2 strokes. I have a 75hp 2 stroke on a 19ft skiff, and when something happens to the engine, will probably replace with a 4 stroke

In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,225 Captain

Do you intend to keep the boat for another 10 years? If so a new motor may be a good choice, if you plan on selling it in a year then I would put a used/rebuilt lower unit on it.

Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,185 Officer

New SEI lower unit is less than $1000.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,504 Admiral

I'd go with a new lower unit rather than replace the whole motor. You can always do that in a year and you'll still get pretty good $$ for the one you have as long as it's in good working order. Those 90hp yam 2 strokes are pretty desirable. If you want to sell, it won't be for sale very long.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 765 Officer

And the motor is worth more money running.

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,225 Captain

That is true, of course.

Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,714 Captain
    All good advice. Wish i had seen the SEI lower unit less than $1000.  Not a big fan of new hulls, just me. This hull, new in 06 will do everything today it would then. Found new 2015 4 stroke 90'2 in box $4700, thought a good deal. Sent them email asking about controls they answered "we do no recommend replacing that motor with a new 4 stroke"!! I asked why....no reply! So I honored their wishes. Having my lower repaired, not as bad as i thought, $475. WIll see how it all works out, thanks again everyone!!