Stradic **** 5000 for nearshore fishing?

termigator69termigator69 Posts: 3 Greenhorn

Does anyone have experience with the Stradic **** 5000 for nearshore fishing? I want to try it out for cobia and tripletail and maybe a little reef fishing. I'll probably only do it two or three times a year, since I do mostly flats and inlet fishing and only take guided trips for nearshore/offshore ventures. I also have a Cabo 50 (PTSE), but I don't really trust it. I used one last March at Sebastian Inlet during the crazy big bluefish runs (schools of 10-15 lb. blues), but after casting and retrieving 3 ounce spoons and fighting around ten big blues, the gears became misaligned. I was able to return it and get another one, but now I just don't trust it to hold up to nearshore trips let alone anything of size.

Replies

• waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,010 Officer
    edited February 2 #2

Cabo's have a pretty good reputation; that's sad to hear. I have a Cabo 80 and several Quantum Smokes, and they've been flawless over the past few years. For what you're describing, a Stradic, Spheros, or Sustain should work well. A 5000 is more than you'll need for tripletail, but may be a bit small for larger cobia.

• termigator69termigator69 Posts: 3 Greenhorn

I'm basically counting on the captain use the boat to go after a big cobia if need be so I don't get spooled. ;)
    I haven't had very good luck with Quantums in general. I bought an Energy PT30 a while back to go after blues and macks using Gotcha plugs at Sebastian inlet. It did not hold up well at all. :(

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,193 Moderator

The Cabo is good, but I'd recommend a Daiwa BG 4000 or 5000 if you are set on purchasing another reel. Another option is the Saltist 4000 or 5000.

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,691 Captain

BG5000 is a great reel but it's the same size as a Shimano 8000... it's WAY overkill for tripletail and 90% of cobia. I use a BG5000 for adult tarpon sometimes.

Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 864 Officer

I have a stradic 5000 on a terez ML. It fills a nook for fish in the 10 to 30 lb range. I use it mostly inshore for snookin around bridges, for bigger jacks, tripletail and offshore i've used it for kingfish and snappers. Personally I think my cabo 40 is tougher than the stradic. I've been able to land larger fish with my cabo 40. The stradic is smoother. not sure if thats the reel you'd wanna use on a good sized cobia.
    Ive had gear issues with the older smokes. The newest model seems better. never had gear issues with my cabos or bocas, only AR failure on old ones.

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,193 Moderator
    edited February 2 #7

@kmagnuss said:
    BG5000 is a great reel but it's the same size as a Shimano 8000... it's WAY overkill for tripletail and 90% of cobia. I use a BG5000 for adult tarpon sometimes.

That's why I recommended the 4000. Remember, Daiwas are larger than other brands of the same size number

A Stradic 5000 only holds195yards of 12# mono, a BG4000 holds 260 yards of 12# And I'm only using 12# as an example of the line capacity

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 576 Officer

Been using the different models of Stradic 5000 size for years and swear by them. When they get tired I send them back to Shimano and they come back like new. Proper maintenance is important with these reels.

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,011 Officer

Is there any way you can let the fish run and play them - or it is combat fishing on the jetty? I grew up catching blues like that on 4000 reels with 10# mono, but out of a boat.

If you have to crank the drag down due to jetty fishing, a bigger reel is a good way to go. The Diawa SS 2600 is a heck of a reel - great drag, long casting, solid. You can load that sucker up with braid and put a hurting on the fish. We use 'em for snook on the docks and like them.

Walmart has the Stradic 5000 for $183. Shimano does make a good reel.

• Skinny RunningSkinny Running Posts: 66 Greenhorn

@termigator69 said:
    Does anyone have experience with the Stradic **** 5000 for nearshore fishing? I want to try it out for cobia and tripletail and maybe a little reef fishing. I'll probably only do it two or three times a year, since I do mostly flats and inlet fishing and only take guided trips for nearshore/offshore ventures. I also have a Cabo 50 (PTSE), but I don't really trust it. I used one last March at Sebastian Inlet during the crazy big bluefish runs (schools of 10-15 lb. blues), but after casting and retrieving 3 ounce spoons and fighting around ten big blues, the gears became misaligned. I was able to return it and get another one, but now I just don't trust it to hold up to nearshore trips let alone anything of size.

5000 it too big for that. Get a 4000 unless you are targeting really large reef fish.

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    edited February 10 #11

A 5000 Stradic isn’t to big for cobia at all. Maybe a little small. I use an 8000 thunnus for cobia

You should have been here yesterday
  • Skinny RunningSkinny Running Posts: 66 Greenhorn

@Saltygatorvet said:
    A 5000 Stradic isn’t to big for cobia at all. Maybe a little small. I use an 8000 thunnus for cobia

Overall for flats and inshore a 4000 is a better match. For offshore and targeting cobia a bigger real would be better for sure.

• TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 441 Deckhand

@Saltygatorvet said:

@Skinny Running said:

@Saltygatorvet said:

Overall for flats and inshore a 4000 is a better match. For offshore and targeting cobia a bigger real would be better for sure.

I had a very large cobia nearly spool my Stradic 5000 (20lb braid and 40lb flouro leader) on a 3ft deep flat last summer. He would have spooled me I palm the reel to slow him down and the leader or knot gave out. I would argue that I would have him in deep water but he just ran and ran on the flat. I saw him take my cut mullet in 2ft of water... biggest brown bomber I ever saw in person... **** I can't believe I lost that fish. I had someone to drive the boat and run him down that would have been a good dinner for the neighborhood.

My Cobia rod now has a Saragossa 6000.

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    edited February 12 #14

@Skinny Running said:

@Saltygatorvet said:

The op says nearshore for cobia and reefs. Doesn’t say anything about inshore or flats. 5000 definitely not to big. I use 4000 inshore for trout and reds. Bringing a 4000 to target cobia is like bringing a knife to a gunfight. It can be done, but less than ideal. Just because someone caught a big cobia on a Barbie zebco doesn’t mean you should use one to target them

You should have been here yesterday