Fighting for public access open fishery

harbisonharbison Posts: 2,607 Captain

Fighting for public access open fishery of sustainable fishery stocks for all

The American peoples access to an open fishery for all has been under attack for decades. NOAA, under heavy influence from the EDF, has been pushing catch shares as one of the only 'solutions' to save a so called 'depleted' fishery.
Exactly what is catch shares?  Catch shares, also known as an individual fishing quota, is a transferable voucher that gives individuals or businesses the ability to access a fixed percentage of the total authorized catch of a particular species. Fishery management systems based on catch shares turn a public resource into private property that has lead to a socioeconomic disaster for the American fisherman.
Exactly where does Walmart stand on catch shares and why?

The Walton Foundation, Walmart, has donated multi-thousands of dollars towards the realization of catch shares. Walmart is all about profit. Walmart is predicted to make millions by selling us, the American people, back OUR fish.
'We sell, repeat...SELL, fish tags!'
photo WALMAT_zpsgbielzji.jpg
NOAA's number one target for recreational catch shares is the American red snapper.
Dr. Bob Shipp
photo DrShipp_zpsrx8s9242.jpg
Dr. Bob Shipp's, recognized authority on red snapper, 'Guide to Fishes of the Gulf of Mexico' is in its fifth printing and is used by the National Marine Fisheries Service for field identification of fishes. What does Dr. Shipp think of the way OUR, or what was once our, red snapper fishery is being handled?
"It's probably the worst-managed fishery in the United States. The snapper stocks are stronger than they've ever been in history. There are more red snapper on the  Alabama reefs alone than NOAA recognizes in the entire Gulf of Mexico. This whole snapper management system is a train wreck."
Dr. Shipp faults the way the Magnuson Act is worded as the root of the problem. "The Magnuson Act has got to be changed; otherwise, we're never going to come to a rational solution to this mess."
Leading the charge against 'changing' the Magnuson Act is the EDF.
Leading the fight for public 'open' access fishery is Hubbard Marina's Captain Dylan Hubbard:
photo cap d_zpseyxuemlx.jpg
Next NMFS GC meeting is January 29th in Louisiana and Hubbard's Marinawill be there fighting for the recreational angler's rights and trying to defeat the idea of allocation based management! We believe our federal fishery should be public access not privatized for the few... the IFQ system is being pushed onto the for hire rec sector by the environmental groups and CFA, once they are done in the for hire rec sector they will push to move this management structure into the private rec sector. I have been warning against this for a decade or more when AM40 first got discussed but now its real, they are openly admitting they want a fish tag allocation based management system for private recs. Unless you want to have to go to walmart to get your red grouper, gag, amberjack, red snapper or triggerfish tags then you'd better start listening in and getting involved. If this idea is stopped in the for hire sector it won't have the momentum to move into the private rec sector! One of the supporting for hire party boat captains who was pushing for allocation based management in the for hire sector and is openly supporting CFA and their push to move this idea into the private rec sector said, "I have to get a tag for every deer I go shoot, why shouldn't they have to get a tag for their red snapper?" 
NOAA & EDF are united and very well funded.
We are none of the above. Fighting for public access open fishery of sustainable fishery stocks for all will take a united effort of the American peoples. Together we can, and must, do it. 
  Bob Harbison  Florida Outdoor Writers Association

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,642 Admiral

never seen an ARS for sale in wal-mart...

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 2,607 Captain

"never seen an ARS for sale in wal-mart..." Never will! Too much class for wal-mart.
    With catch shares you would see, buy, 'shares' to catch & keep them.

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,010 Officer

Hi Bob -

Something I've seen that I vehemently oppose is commercial/head boats having different regulations than recreational boats such as

• 2 day catch limits on overnight trips - - I can go camping for a week on an island with a receipt showing how long I've been there yet am still limited to a 1-day fish limit if I do not have access to a freezer to freeze the fish...

• red snapper during times closed to recreational folks - - I don't think Hubbard does this but the Eagle does as do a few boats in the Panhandle. I been there.

The fisheries folks have lobbyists while the recreational folks don't - until we all kick in a couple $ annually, quarterly, whatnot - and pay someone to fight for us and to bribe the politicians, we're stuck where we are at.

Agree with everything you say. 
    (1)  2 day catch limits on overnight trips
    This is granted to head/charter boats with the following stipulations:
     (A) Must be able to prove that trip was over 24 hours.                   ( example...ticket stub )
     (B) Two licensed Captains were on board.
     (C) Adequate bunk space for all passengers. 
    The key is to be able to prove that the trip was over 24 hours. 
    "I can go camping for a week on an island with a receipt showing how long I've been there yet am still limited to a 1-day fish limit"
    If proof was not required every time a fisherman was caught with an over-limit catch, the excuse would be...'I was fishing for over 24 hours.'
    If a 'receipt' can prove trip was over 24 hours...A two day limit should be available. The key word is 'PROOF!' 
    This situation should be addressed. We can expect little to NO help from Crabtree and the 'Close Them Down' NOAA gang. The Department of Commerce should be notified. Last year NOAA's Nation Marine Fishery, under Roy Crabtree, set the Gulf recreational American red snapper season at 3 day, 49 day head/charter boat season.
     Strong complaints to the Department of Commerce resulted in a much longer recreational season. NOAA had absolutely no consideration in this decision. 
    The 3 day recreational, 49 day head/charter boat season was a direct result of NOAA's, under strong protest, passage of Sector Separation. 
    Exactly what does Sector Separation do?
           Establishment of Private Angling and Federal For-hire Components 
    Establish a red snapper federal for-hire component. The federal for-hire component would include all for-hire operators with a valid or renewable federal reef fish for-hire permit.
    Establish a private angling component that would include all other for-hire operators and private recreational anglers.
    In the Central Florida area the Eagle, Queen, fleets out of Clearwater,  are strong supporters of Sector Separation. Tarpon Spring's Gulfstar, and Madeira Beach's Hubbard's Marina, are strong fighters for 'equal access' fishing for all. As such, both are strongly against Amendment 40, Sector Separation. 
    Captain Dylan Hubbard on Sector Separation:
       photo Untitled_zpsffmhh5wo.jpg

Dylan Hubbard Red Snapper Post
    IF YOU CARE ABOUT OUR FISHERY, THIS IS A MUST READ from Hubbard’s Marina about the issues facing our federal fishery in the Gulf of Mexico… time to stand up for your rights:

"Hubbard’s Marina DOES NOT and has NEVER SUPPORTED SECTOR SEPARATION so before you think that we are happy with 3 day season for recreational anglers and our 49 day season for red snapper first realize that we have vehemently opposed this idea since it was first ever discussed and begged the recreational anglers to get involved in fighting against Sector separation (amendment 40) when that didn’t work we waiting till the sunset provision when it came up for a reinstatement and again we vehemently opposed it and urged recreational anglers to join us.

Despite our opposition and actually, a majority of fed permitted for-hire sectors opposition the amendment was pushed through. (More than 3/4 of for-hire sector opposed this still don’t know how it was passed) However, Sector separation is now law, there’s nothing more we can do about it but we still have to unite.

Due to this ‘sector separation’ we now have THREE SEASONS for federal water red snapper fishery in the gulf, 3 days for rec anglers, 49 days for fed permitted for hire anglers, 365 days for commercial anglers
    **THIS IS NOT ANY ANGLERS FAULT and is totally unacceptable

THE GOAL OF THIS IS TO DIVIDE AND CONQUER ANGLERS, BY GETTING YOU TO BLAME for hire and the commercial sector."

The 'BLAME' is with, under heavy influence from the EDF, NOAA. NOAA answers to the Department of Commerce. Complaints to NOAA will get us no-where. We must go directly to the Department of Commerce:

Mailing Address

U.S. Department of Commerce
    1401 Constitution Ave NW
    Washington, DC 20230

Main Phone Line

(202) 482-2000

:s "365 days for commercial anglers" Commercial fishermen operate under what is known as an IFQ system. Each has a 'QUOTA' given free by NOAA. The quota is based on prior landings. Once that quota has been reached, that's it for the year. Quotas can then be bought, here is where the big money comes in. Fortunes can be realized by those who never wet a line.

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,642 Admiral

@Rich M said:
    Hi Bob -

Something I've seen that I vehemently oppose is commercial/head boats having different regulations than recreational boats such as

• 2 day catch limits on overnight trips - - I can go camping for a week on an island with a receipt showing how long I've been there yet am still limited to a 1-day fish limit if I do not have access to a freezer to freeze the fish...

• red snapper during times closed to recreational folks - - I don't think Hubbard does this but the Eagle does as do a few boats in the Panhandle. I been there.

The fisheries folks have lobbyists while the recreational folks don't - until we all kick in a couple $ annually, quarterly, whatnot - and pay someone to fight for us and to bribe the politicians, we're stuck where we are at.

um, Hubbards gets more days than you and while they oppose it (WINK), they still participate.

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

"um, Hubbards gets more days than you and while they oppose it (WINK), they still participate."
    Demanded by competition. Virtually every federal permitted head boat in all five Gulf of Mexico states are being forced, like it or not, to "participate." Fishing is a highly competitive business. Most (WINK) would like to keep the doors open!

• CaptECaptE Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    Hubbard's kills more red snapper than any other boat brings to the dock.   If you want a 8knot boat that has poached more than any other boat, ride out with Dillon Hubbard.  You will wish you put your money some where else.
    Were you fishing the friendly when they were selling ajs and some of their customers went to jail?
  • Capt. C.Capt. C. Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    This post is a bit dated....but I would like Mr. Harbison to look again at how many CFH operators are "opposed" to Sector Separation. I think your numbers are actually leaning toward the other aspect of the issue!! But.....as with most of Mr. Harbisons posts.....the info is skewed toward the thinking of HIS group of fisherman !!  Check your numbers Bob
    He probably sells ajs
    $10.00 a pound.   
     "You will wish you put your money some where else."  PLEASE DO! 
    Even the Gulf Council's own web sight reported over a 90% public disapproval of Sector Separation.
    "HIS group" wants, fights for, an open fishery of ALL available stocks for one & all. 
     It will NEVER happen because of apathy & in-fighting.
     Many would rather 'start something' and keep it going than fight for the recreational fisherman.  
    Ever wonder how, why, the commercial sector is so strong?  How long has it been since you have seen, heard, a commercial fisherman trash one of it's own?  Think About it! 
    Sector separation is in Magnusson act Harbison.  Didn't answer about how much Hubbard pays you to speak for them, "Captain"
    90% of the "public". You stated Dylan Hubbard's comment about 3/4 of the CFH sector "opposed" sector separation. Can you take a poll on those numbers today??? My bet.......He's way off!!!!! Let me poll the 20k+ anglers that fished the Double Eagle last year....and I bet the "90%" of CCA, FRA, RFA comments on the council site will be overtaken!!
    So you do sell and?  Nice.
    The comments I've heard at the last few counsel meetings is to "PLEASE" eliminate the "sunset clause" on amendment 40....sector separation. This from the CFH operators in attendance. Have you been to these...Bob?
    That's ajs.
    10 dollars a pound?   Are you admitting to a felony?
    Harbison, do you get free trips, cash, favors?  I don't see Dillon or his family on here pushing his terrible boat, just you.  What' the deal?  Tell the truth........
    The silence is deafening........
    "What' the deal?  Tell the truth....."  The truth is I am a Florida native who believes in our state and what it has to offer the fishermen & hunters. I "push", work, for no one. I am my own boss.  To me sharing is pay-back for living a life time in paradise.  I take pride in sharing the Sunshine state with fellow sportsmen/women all over this great country of ours. For that I apologize to not one. 
    "The silence is deafening..... And it will continue to be!
    Sorry but 'Geenhorn' Weekend warriors who post a whopping 67 times would would be much better off if they talked about something they actually know something about. 
       HAVE A NICE DAY! 
    I fish 300plus days a year. I don't have to wait for Dillon to take me on a slow boat to the same 4 spots to kill red snapper.  Your a joke just like your benefactor.   Keep spending thousands on advertising and trade shows.  You need to..
    Whose boat got repoed in the middle of the night?   Maybe they shouldn't pay you so much Bob....
    I wish I was a weekend warrior, I fish to much for that.  Captian.
    Have Nice Day
    Oh Bob. That is what you have come to?? Talk about something you “know about”. PLEASE take your own advice!! Some of your posts are so full of BS and it is about time someone calls you out. My listing is “greenhorn” as well. Does that mean I know nothing about this subject?? 3rd generation fisherman out of W Central FL. Sorry we don’t have time for as many “knowledgeable” posts as you do. What I do have is a tremendous amount of time fighting for access for the “non boat owning” public. Traveling all over the SE to meetings. Haven’t seen you there. Maybe you can hide in the Hubbard’s suitcase and make it to the next one. Or maybe you have been attending for years, like your “Idol” whom I’ve only seen the last year or so. Have a “ nice day”
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,575 Captain
    Capt. C. said:
    The comments I've heard at the last few counsel meetings is to "PLEASE" eliminate the "sunset clause" on amendment 40....sector separation. This from the CFH operators in attendance. Have you been to these...Bob?
    Are you talking about the same CFH/Commercial boys paid by EDF to be at every meeting?  They don’t speak for the majority of federally permitted captains since it’s well known it wouldn’t pass a referendum.
    Oh Bob. That is what you have come to?? Talk about something you “know about”. PLEASE take your own advice!! Some of your posts are so full of BS and it is about time someone calls you out. My listing is “greenhorn” as well. Does that mean I know nothing about this subject?? 3rd generation fisherman out of W Central FL. Sorry we don’t have time for as many “knowledgeable” posts as you do. What I do have is a tremendous amount of time fighting for access for the “non boat owning” public. Traveling all over the SE to meetings. Haven’t seen you there. Maybe you can hide in the Hubbard’s suitcase and make it to the next one. Or maybe you have been attending for years, like your “Idol” whom I’ve only seen the last year or so. Have a “ nice day”
    NO COMMENT!

I expected more from you Tom. Back to vomiting up the same old talking points. The tide has changed on sector separation, CFH captains have seen the benefit. I think saying the majority of the CFH Fleet is opposed to it is a huge over estimation. I have reached out to several Headboat captains to be sure they have the correct info on Amend 41. We have several new captains supporting it. I think latest number is 41% support and the number is climbing. I personally am meeting with 4 additional captains this month.