ST.joe / Mexico beach inshore fishing in march / april ???????????

we have fished this area in september for a few years & enjoy it. what could we expect to catch in march / april ? & surely there is no scalloping then ? thank you in advance.

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    Inshore, you may be able to target trout, reds, flounder and maybe pompano. A little early for tt and tarpon. Good luck
    You should have been here yesterday
  • paulj.paulj. Posts: 45 Deckhand
    appreciate that Salty !!
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,016 Admiral
    March/April is a little early, imo. Sea grass had a tough time for the last couple years. Little better this year though. Fish the canal up to the ICW connection. You can usually cast net pilchards just South of the tall bridge on the flats. The deep channel just off the marina is usually pretty good for some different species. You can also anchor on the inside of the tip and catch good fish. Anchor on the shallow side of the ledge and sink baits deep. Caught pomps, reds, trout and a cobia there last time I did. That was last June though.

Skully's is a new restaurant on the Cape. They do low country boils for take out. Really good and reasonable price too. Free beer while you wait too. :beer

Good luck.
  • EdwardoEdwardo Posts: 16 Greenhorn

"You can also anchor on the inside of the tip"
    Are you talking about the tip of the jetty at the marina? I will also be at St. Joe in mid-March (at Presnell's) and would like any other tips on catching fish here. My only other fishing trip to St. Joe was last June and now I'm "hooked". I mainly fished the flats between Presnell's and the marina; caught mainly specks and flounder. I have yet to catch a red!

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,016 Admiral

I was talking the tip of the Cape. Just inside and about a half mile down the shoreline of the Cape. Think shallow water dropping off to deep and anchor shallow and cast, soak deep.

• RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand

@Resinhead said:
    I was talking the tip of the Cape. Just inside and about a half mile down the shoreline of the Cape. Think shallow water dropping off to deep and anchor shallow and cast, soak deep.

Good place for sharks.

This is actually a decent time of year to fish the Bay. Everything coming back into it from the ICW and deep water. It will probably be a little slow but they will have some size. If you know how to navigate it, fish from Presnell to the South. Good trout and Reds. If you go toward town fish deeper water for Reds. Please do not tear up the seagrass if you don't know where your going.

• Luv2BoatLuv2Boat JupiterPosts: 31 Greenhorn
    Fished cut mullet last weekend and caught a dozen sharks and 2 bluefish . Not a bad day but was hoping for a bull Red :)