New Angler Looking for Rod / Reel Setup

Will be moving to Jupiter, FL this spring and hopefully purchasing a boat shortly after and am looking for an ideal rod setup for SFL. Will be based out of Jupiter, but will be fishing all over hopefully (Bahamas / Keys / West Coast). I want setups that will me to target most species in the area. Want to be able to hit the wrecks and reefs (snappers/groupers), troll and fly some kites (pelagics), pitch and drift (mahi/tuna/cobia), and inshore in the winter (mackerels/snook/reds). I will mostly be fishing with my wife, father, and son (once he is old enough).

As of today I have

· 7'0 Hvy Pwr Med-Fast Action Terrama Inshore rod paired with a Stradic 8000FJ

· JPR Heavy Custom Jigging Rod ("Bottom Bouncer") 6’ with Fin-Nor Lethal 100

I am open to changing reels from setups for better options (ie. moving the Stradic over to a lighter rod and pairing the rod with a heavier reel).

I was thinking something like:

· 2x medium spinners (BG 8000) – snappers on reefs / pitch baits etc

· 2x medium conventional that could be used for trolling / kite / wrecks

· 2x light spinners – mackerel / yellowtail (also sabiki)

· 1x economical electric reel (deep drop / MAYBE swords one day).

· Do I need heavy conventional? Don’t plan on going Marlin or Bluefin fishing lol.

· Do I need heavy spinner?

What am I missing, and will wish I had if I were out there fishing? I want to keep the budget modest, but get high value for dollars, but don’t want to go bottom shelf either. I am open to all brands, but would like to keep it to major manufactures, if possible. Starting my search early so I can be on the lookout for deals / combos etc.

Replies

• flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Shimano TLDs are a staple economical work horse for conventional reels In My Opinion- paired with Crowder Stand up rod 6’-7’

You’re going to want more than two Conventional
    Setups. 4 would be a minimum for me, especially if running the kite; 2 on the kite, 1 flat line , 1 deep?

A TLD 20-25 is heavy duty enough for most species being caught offshore ( mahi,sails, wahoo, Kings,ETC)

Daiwa Saltist are nice options for the spinning arena.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    For kites, almost everyone wants to have 3 matching conventional rods per kite. Most guys fish something between 20-40# main line off the kites. The kite handling rod usually gets 3 release clips on 40-80# braid, depending on the season. Winter winds take heavier kite line. Some guys use 60ish# year round. Some guys only fish 2 clips, but most use 3.

For trolling, you probably want at least 4 combos. Most guys fish 30-40# main line for general purpose trolling. Some guys go down to 20#. I have had days when 20# was the only thing to get hit, but that is not usually the case.

For grouper, unless you are talking about the little guys like Cony or Strawberry, most guys want 60-80# line. You probably only need 1 or 2 of these combos. I just have one rigged at 60#.

Heavy conventional gear - only needed if you get a case of wahoo fever & want to high speed troll for them.

Most guys around here consider a BG8000 to be a heavy spinner. 5000-6000, sometimes with braid, will take most things that you go after with a spinner. The biggest spinner I have is a 7000 & I hardly use it. A 5000 with 30# mono over 40# braid is my workhorse pitch rod. A lot of guys fish 20# on their spinners. I've taken fish as large as a 6' sail on a 20# spinner.

The TLD is a great workhorse for moderate money. A Penn Senator is even less expensive & has great spare parts availability (& has caught an awful lot of fish over the years). These can be considered basic starter rigs. Both of these have sort of slow retrieve rates by today's standards. There is a lot of nicer stuff out there these days, if you want to spend the money. I like fast retrieve rates for kites & jigging. It's more important to me for jigging than the kite. I don't mind the slow stuff as much for trolling & bottom bouncing.

I don't do much inshore, so I can't comment very well on that area.

Welcome to the board & welcome to South Florida.
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 600 Officer
    Stirring the pot.... what about a set of jigging rods that have locks that you can use for trolling /other fishing .
    Size of reels varies in power.., a sustain 6000 has more cranking power than a penn battle 8000. I couldn’t tell you where the bgs fall (modern). I can say a finnor lethal has a slight edge on the battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • KnotikoKnotiko Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    Personally I am a Penn man. As far as spinners go you cannot go wrong with the new Penn Spin Fishers (I have several friends who grew up on shimano's and they will not go back), for the price they simply cannot be beat. I fish a 3000 or 4000 inshore up here and a 5000 offshore. For the offshore spinner I would also recommend getting a real with the live liner capabilities in case you want to do some live bait drifting. For rods: inshore I am huge fan of the Star Rods "Seagis" and for offshore you can't beat the star deluxe (extremely durable and can handle pretty much anything thrown at them).

For bottom reels, you cannot go wrong with a penn senator, but any star drag reel on a stout rod will do the trick. Of course a faster retrieve is better and you will want a reel with a lot of drag.

I know a few guys who are kite fishing and they fish the diawa saltists or the Penn Squalls (which seem to be similar to the Shimano TLD).

I would say that you could use your kite fishing rods for your everyday dolphin or sailfish trolling. But, if you want to do something different I like a shorter trolling rod like a tuna stick or similar. For a reels I fish Penn Internationals (the Squall or TLD will be more than sufficient if you don't want to shell out the cash).

As far as electric reels, I would look around on craigslist and buy one that is cheap and see how much you use it or if you like that style of fishing (a lot of money can be spent on those suckers and quality is usually associated with price).
  • KnotikoKnotiko Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    Also, I should note that the drags on the spin fishers are extremely strong (higher than most other reels especially ones in that price range) and really smooth.
  • daramos13daramos13 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks you everyone for your input! It is much appreciated, I threw out the BG's based on Alan Hawk's most recent 2017 reel reviews (http://www.alanhawk.com/blog/wr17.html). Excellent read for those inclined. Glad to see that most agree that 4/5000 series would be sufficient for most of my applications.

So to summarize as best I can:
    1x 5000 Series Spinner - 6'6-7' Rod 30-50 Class
    1x 8000FJ Stradic on 7' Terramar Heavy Power and Med/Fast Action (currently own)
    1x Baitrunner Reel 5000 Series -7' Rod 30-50 Class
    2x 3000 Series Spinner - 7' Rod 15-30 Class
    2x TLD or similar with 40#
    1x TLD or similar with 25#
    1x TLD or similar with 60-80#
    1x LT100 on a 6' Jigging Rod 60# Braid (currently own)

Would you recommend a high speed or two speed conventional? Which of the above would benefit the most from a higher Gear Ratio or Two speed?

AGAIN THANK YOU all for the help!
  • Moody BluesMoody Blues Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Hey, I have 4 like new Shimano TLD 15's for sale for $465. I bought them new 2 months ago and want something with a little faster retrieve. They are spooled with Momoi Diamond 20

They are perfect all around reels for light trolling and live baiting off Jupiter. I was trying to use them just for sail fishing and realize i need something with higher retrieve and already have other TLD's I use for trolling.

I also have 2ea 6' 30lb rods with Aftco butts and roller/stripper and TLD 25's that I am not using anymore. They are about 6 yrs old but still excellent condition. They are lined up with brand new Momoi 30 and ready to fish.

I live in Jupiter and fish inshore/offshore/fly a lot. Ill be happy to give you any pointers you need.

PS: have 2ea extra 7ft Sailfish Spinnig rods with Bairunner 4500's

PM me your cell and I'll text you

Thanks,
    Danny
    daramos13 wrote: »
    Thanks you everyone for your input! It is much appreciated, I threw out the BG's based on Alan Hawk's most recent 2017 reel reviews (http://www.alanhawk.com/blog/wr17.html). Excellent read for those inclined. Glad to see that most agree that 4/5000 series would be sufficient for most of my applications.

So to summarize as best I can:
    1x 5000 Series Spinner - 6'6-7' Rod 30-50 Class
    1x 8000FJ Stradic on 7' Terramar Heavy Power and Med/Fast Action (currently own)
    1x Baitrunner Reel 5000 Series -7' Rod 30-50 Class
    2x 3000 Series Spinner - 7' Rod 15-30 Class
    2x TLD or similar with 40#
    1x TLD or similar with 25#
    1x TLD or similar with 60-80#
    1x LT100 on a 6' Jigging Rod 60# Braid (currently own)

Would you recommend a high speed or two speed conventional? Which of the above would benefit the most from a higher Gear Ratio or Two speed?

AGAIN THANK YOU all for the help!

That should cover it, & then some. I usually go out with only 6 rods on the boat, or maybe 8 at most. My kite rods normally do double duty as trolling rods & bottom rods.

As I said before, the fast retrieve is most preferred for vertical jigging. It is also helpful for kite fishing, especially if you fly the kites high.

Two speeds are nice if you have the money. If not, you can still catch fish.

Edit:
    Not sure why you are avoiding the BG. It sounded as if that Alan guy liked it.
  • mmedranommedrano Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I would recommend having 1 rod/reel set up for a planer and not necessarily for high speed trolling. A TLD 50 or Penn International 50 would work well. A Penn International 30 would work also.
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 321 Deckhand
    Keeping in mind your wife, father, and son (once he is old enough) it's important to keep your reels user friendly...get a couple Shimano TR2000LD that have plenty of drag for the big stuff, and a couple smaller Shimano TRN200G for everything else...your family will enjoy reeling 'em in without having to concentrate on thumbing the line, and bonus is that it won't cost you a bundle and these Shimano's will take a beating! :wink

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• JWPBJWPB Posts: 155 Deckhand
    I use Penn Senator 114h 6/0 reels for everything you listed but used 40# and 50# line since I fish alone and can't always turn and chase as quickly as 20# teams that chase sailfish.

Check Craigslist south Florida. There are some listed for $75 That will easily meet your needs and then pick up a few Penn Battle II 6000 for offshore spinning needs.
    Jupiter 29FS
  • daramos13daramos13 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    JIMinPB-
    I will be going with the BG's for my spinning needs for whatever I need to buy new (2x 3000 and 1x 5000). The Stradic and the LT100 I already own.

For Vert Jigging I will be using the LT100.

Coastal-
    I do agree completely with your assessment that i want user-friendly reels for my son and father (78).

Thinking maybe 2 TLD20's at 30# for trolling and Kite and then Maybe a beefier Conventional 2-speed that can handle multiple duty spooled up with 50-60# troll / bottom fish.

So on a kite drift i can have the 50/60# on the bottom, 2 kite lines out, and the 5k BG flat line and a few rods available to pitch if needed and if I am feeling really up for it can jig water column too if i see something interesting on the Finder.

If I am being "wise" on most of my setups going with the BG and TLD what would you recommend as a mid-tier all around rod that can really get after the grouper on wrecks- 2 Speed with some good beefy drag.
    daramos13 wrote: »
    So on a kite drift i can have the 50/60# on the bottom, 2 kite lines out, and the 5k BG flat line and a few rods available to pitch if needed and if I am feeling really up for it can jig water column too if i see something interesting on the Finder.

Stop right there, cut down to 1 pitch/jig rod, on top of the 2 kites, 1 bottom & 1 flat, then get out there & fish a few times. Then decide what YOU want. Is your retrieve too slow? Is it too fast? Is your rod too heavy? Not enough back bone? Not long enough? Too long? Wrong color? Wrong tip type?

Don't buy too much stuff that somebody else likes to fish with. Start with a basic selection & see how it fits into the style of fishing that you want to do. When you are on the boat & feel the need to reach for something that you don't have, then it's time to go rod shopping again. It's easy to spend money & get what you want once you know what that is. It's harder to unload rods that do not fit your needs well after you have purchased them.
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 609 Officer
    Surprised no one has mentioned...baitrunner feature is super useful here for flatlining or sinking live baits. I have a Shimano baitrunner 6000 and 8000 and never needed anything bigger. Sails and dolphin need to eat, so I find you lose less fish on a baitrunner.... On regular spinners you have to set the drag real loose or really be on it to open the bail when you get bit, then drag it up quickly so the hook sets without getting spit. If you want an upgrade from a Shimano baitrunner the thunnus reels are buttery smooth.
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • ldavid516ldavid516 Posts: 286 Deckhand
    Pat's right about baitrunners for flat live bait....lets them run with it & just start
    reeling to it engage the drag at your preset..

Don't think you want TLD for kite...fish will be halfway to West End
    by the time you can take up the slack. Kiting with spinners can be a good solution.

I'm not a braid fanatic but when the current is 3-5 here it can be the difference
    between getting close to structure or not...mono can require a lot of lead or downriggers

MakoLogic wrote: »
    Surprised no one has mentioned...baitrunner feature is super useful here for flatlining or sinking live baits. I have a Shimano baitrunner 6000 and 8000 and never needed anything bigger. Sails and dolphin need to eat, so I find you lose less fish on a baitrunner.... On regular spinners you have to set the drag real loose or really be on it to open the bail when you get bit, then drag it up quickly so the hook sets without getting spit. If you want an upgrade from a Shimano baitrunner the thunnus reels are buttery smooth.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 388 Deckhand
    I would definitely get some TLD 20/25s. I was in a similar situation as you are a year ago. I have 4 TLD 25s and 1 TLD 20. I bought the TLD 20 because it was a great price. The 20 and 25 are pretty similar except for line capacity. I have them all with 30# mono and use them mostly for Mahi, Kings, etc. I also have a BG 4500 on a Shimano Tallus, a 6500 Baitrunner on a Star rod and a Cabela's 8000 bait runner all with 50# braid and have no complaints. For the in-shore stuff look at the BG reels ( I have a 2500) and the Battle II combos. The Battle II combos for the 2500 series are like $110; hard to beat the price.
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 477 Deckhand
    No expert, but I can be frugal (not the same as cheap).
    If you want a do it all combo:
    4 TLD25s spooled with 40lb line. Will this be ideal in every situation, no. Will this work, yes.
    (15s have a lot of problems, 20 is just a lower line capacity 25)
    4 line trolling spread is all you need for a beginner. With 40lb and a loose drag you will catch almost everything South Fl has to offer.
    TLDs for kite fishing. You better crank fast. Super slow line retrieve in a game of quick action. It can be done, but not the best. 40lb isn't the best, but will work.
    I use speedmasters. They aren't the best but the 6:1 ratio isn't bad and they stay spooled with 20lb so, it works.
    I've used my TLD25s for bottom fishing. I've caught up to 20lb red grouper on them no problem. Upgrade the handles (as you should) and you are good to go. 40lb is fine as long as you aren't trying for bigger fish than your average grouper. I've also caught a 75lb AJ on that reel. Almost killed me, but it happened.
    So, thats 1 set of reels that could cover trolling/drifting, bottom, and kite.
    Throw in a 6000 or so size spinner for pitching baits to big fish free swimming, a 4000 size for smaller dolphin or tripletail, and there you go. You have your beginner set up.
    I didn't mention rods for a reason. I like Star Deluxe because you can't break the eyes and I take a lot of new people fishing. The 50lb size is great for bottom fish, while the next size down is perfect for kite/trolling. For my spinning rods I like St. Croix Tidemasters because they double as inshore rods too. Tons of sensitivity to feel the bite. Not as important when site casting or catching larger fish.
    I've bought 6 TLD 25s off of The Hull Truth fishing website. They have a great private sellers page. You can find some real deals on there.
    Everyones comments are equally valid. This is just what I'd do if I was on a budget and wanted to start out. From here you can add in different things as you decide how you really like to fish.
    farside88 wrote: »
    4 TLD25s spooled with 40lb line. Will this be ideal in every situation, no. Will this work, yes.
    (15s have a lot of problems, 20 is just a lower line capacity 25)

Fill me in please. I must have missed something. Aside from limited line capacity & slow retrieve, what are the problems with the TLD 15s? I have two & so far, I've had good luck with them. Even the one that I bought used & later sent for a swim is still working well.
  • ldavid516ldavid516 Posts: 286 Deckhand
    There is a seller with 6 BFC's on rods in Hull truth ..awesome for sails
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,202 Admiral
    . 2x medium spinners (BG 8000) – snappers on reefs / pitch baits
    Shimano Baitrunner 4000OC and/or 6000OC

· 2x medium conventional that could be used for trolling / kite / wrecks
    TLD 25

· 2x light spinners – mackerel / yellowtail (also sabiki)
    Shimano Stradic 4000

· 1x economical electric reel (deep drop / MAYBE swords one day).
    Dolphin paired with a Penn 80 reel

· Do I need heavy conventional? Don’t plan on going Marlin or Bluefin fishing lol.
    Penn 30 or 50 wide

· Do I need heavy spinner?
    Not really. Step up to a BR 8000OC if you feel the need.

I am sold on Crowder rods. They have a lifetime warranty and so far I have had very little problems using them. Check out a tackle place called Grand Slam located in Jupiter for them, the staff is really helpful in helping you pick the right rods.

Keep in mind my choices are assuming you are on a budget, my choices would change a little bit on more expensive outfits if you were not.
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,202 Admiral
    BTW, if you're serious about sword fishing I would go for the LP S-1200 but you're looking at least spending 6K when you're done outfitting it.
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 242 Deckhand
    MakoLogic wrote: »
    I have to agree, I don't troll that much, but I do flat line and bottom fish a lot. I have several of the older baitrunners and have upgraded to the thunnis. Great all around reels with lots of power, I use for grouper and snapper as well as kings and dauphin. The wife even caught a goliath on the 6500 bait runner...

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 600 Officer

I saw you want two spinners. I don’t recommend 3000s on 15-30 rod. 6000 is what I have on mine, they are appropriate and have the cranking ability to match rod strength. When I was 8 I was using 6000s.
    If you want light outfits, there’s a big difference between 12-25 and 15-30lb rods... this is where I notice the change from “you catch little fish” to “you can catch bigger fish”. There are 15-25lb rods that fit in the middle too.